• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Excel Recordset only returns 65536 rows if you try to pull data from a range

jeffreyweir

Howdy folks. I've been doing some testing on an Excel .XSLM file with data in the entire column A of Sheet 2 i.e. a header in A1 and data from A2 to A1048576 i.e. the entire column.

I found that using SELECT * FROM [Sheet2$] works just fine, and pulls through the entire 1048765 records. But any time you want to return data from a named range on that sheet rather than just a blanket "Give me the entire sheet" i.e. [Sheet2$] then you get unexpected results:
1. SELECT * FROM [Sheet2$A:A] only returns 65535 records:
2. SELECT * FROM [Sheet2$A1:A1048576] returns an error: "The Microsoft Access database engine could not find the object 'Sheet1$A1:A65537'

There's nothing wrong with my syntax or connection strings.

So this returns 65535 records: SELECT * FROM [Sheet$A1:A65536]
...whereas if I ask for just one more record beyond old Excel's grid size, it errors out: SELECT * FROM [Sheet$A1:A65537]
...even though SELECT * FROM [Sheet2$] works just fine, and pulls through the entire 1048765 records.

So I'm thinking this is a bug. MS obviously haven't programmed their driver to handle the bigger grid whenever you are using range references.

Funny thing is that setting up a MS Query connection using ODBC works just fine.

Anyone have any thoughts they can share on this?

I've also posted this at a linked in group I'm a member of: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=58704&trk=anet_ug_hm

Here's my code, for what it's worth:

Code:
Sub SQL_test()

Dim con As ADODB.Connection
Dim rstData As ADODB.Recordset
Dim sDatabaseRangeAddress As String

Set con = New ADODB.Connection
Set rstData = New ADODB.Recordset

con.Open "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=" & ActiveWorkbook.FullName & ";Extended Properties = ""Excel 12.0 Macro;HDR=Yes"";"

rstData.Open "SELECT * FROM [Sheet1$A1:A65537]", con

Range("F1").Value = "Results"
Range("f2").CopyFromRecordset rstData

rstData.Close
Set rstData = Nothing
Set con = Nothing

End Sub

Hi Jeff,

It looks like Excel 2007,2010 is not purely built from scratch but still holds lot from their ancestors. As you mentioned the issue happens when we refer the named range.
I tried with this line of code without the reference to the sheet and it works.

rstData.Open "SELECT * FROM [A1:A65537]", con

Also, Excel behaves strange in understanding the sheets when you interchange the sheet order (Sheet2,Sheet1, Sheet3) . Have data in Sheet2, activate it and run with the above line. The data will be read from Sheet2 but copied to F column on Sheet1.:)

Lolith is correct
There are a number of functions/techniques that cannot address the full 1048576 rows.

Back