1. Welcome to Chandoo.org Forums. Short message for you

Hi Guest,

Thanks for joining Chandoo.org forums. We are here to make you awesome in Excel. Before you post your first question, please read this short introduction guide. When posting or responding to questions please remember our values at Chandoo.org are: Humility, Passion, Fun, Awesomeness, Simplicity, Sharing Remember that we have people here for whom English is not there first language and we need to allow for this in our dealings.

Yours,
    Chandoo
  2. Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

3. When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Excel Map doesn't recognize regions

Discussion in 'Discuss Data Visualizations and Charting' started by Dokat, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Dokat

Dokat Member

Hi,

I have a worksheet with custom regions and corresponding sales data that i'd like to create an Excel Map chart. However Excel Map doesnt recognize my regions. Is there a work around it to Map this chart in excel.

Attached is my sample worksheet file.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Hui

Hui Excel Ninja Staff Member

I would try something like adding more detail

eg:

Great lakes, State, Country
    California, USA
    etc

Notes from the power map website

upload_2018-2-26_12-0-35.png

I don't have access to a suitable version to test those
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  3. Hui

Hui Excel Ninja Staff Member

Thomas Kuriakose likes this.
  4. Chihiro

Chihiro Excel Ninja

Setting up custom region layer/map can be pain (unless there is open source one that you can find). If it's not necessary to color entire region (like chloropleth map), then just find central geo code (lat/long) for each region and use that to map your chart (such as bubble or bar).

Otherwise, you'd need to use custom region mapping as explained int the link provided by Hui.

Although, there are good use case and many useful visualization using maps. In many cases, charting on map isn't very informative or useful in telling story via data.

Take the example chart found in Hui's link (first video). It's hard to read, 3d bar obscures some data points behind it... and since it's mapped on sphere, by rotating perspective, weight/significance of each bar get distorted.
  5. Dokat

Dokat Member

Hi,
    I added corresponding states to the data table and manage to generate a Map.

Thank you