• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Excel average excluding #DIV/0! but not in range

Vpremakumar

Hey guys,

Pls help me finding the solutions for below.

Name Number

A 10

B #DIV/0!

C 12

D #DIV/0!

E 20

F 13

G 18

I've to find out the average for names B,D,F,G using excel formula. Thanks

Can you replace the formulas in B & D with something to catch the errors and put a 0

eg: =IFERROR(existing formula,0)

Then do an average as normal =Average(B, D, F, G)

Hey, I'm looking for formula that it shouldn't consider error value itself to calculate average.With your formula it shows 0 instead of #DIV/0! but it'll consider 0 for average calculation.Is any other formula to calculate average excluding #DIV/0! and data are not in range. Please suggest. Thanks!

@xld

What does the ="B" part do?

I think you're okay using the slightly smaller array formula:

=AVERAGE(IF(ISNUMBER(B2:B10),B2:B10))

Looking at my formula, let's start at the inside and work out. The first function is an IF function, checking each cell within the range B2:B10 to see if it's a number. If it is, pass it on (True_arguement), otherwise do nothing (will return FALSE). Visually, if we start with this:

#DIV/0

John

The formula will convert to this:

FALSE

FALSE

The outer function is AVERAGE, which takes the converted section and averages it. The function ignores logicals/text, so we just get the average of 1,2,3,4,4,5. This is the desired outcome.

The formula needs to be confirmed as an array formula (use Ctrl+Shift+Enter to confirm, not just Enter) because we want the IF function to look at each cell with B2:B10, not treat the whole range as a single entity.

That's okay. Simply the formula to look at the entire range (containing numbers, text, errors) and it will only average the numbers.

Back