• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Elbow connector is driving me crazy

In the attached file, I want the red elbow connector to start at USD and end at P&L. To make this clear I displayed this ending at P&L, but when I try to position the beginning of the elbow connector under USD, the connector flips around.

I just can't figure out how to make this work correctly. Is there a way to do this?

Attachments

• Elbow Connector.xlsx
    11.6 KB · Views: 7
Use shapes (rectangles or text boxes) to build the diagram. To align the shapes to underlying cells hold the Alt key down whist dragging shape handles. The text can either be placed within a shape or behind it in the cell provided the shape is set to no fill. Broadly speaking, the connector will leave the shape normal to the side to which it is attached.

To view what is present put up the Selection Pane from Home/Editing/Find&Select.
Do not underestimate the power of shapes. It is possible to build a diagram and then read back to connections from VBA to turn the diagram into live data. It is also possible to animate shapes.

The diagram shows your original text in cells through the overlaid shape but both textboxes and 2D shapes can contain text.

Attachments

• Elbow Connector.xlsx
    12.1 KB · Views: 5
  • twoBall modified.xlsm
    42.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
@DashboardNovice
The connectors are just part of a drawing layer above the grid. The illusion that the arrows join cells is simply created by careful placement and formatting the two D shapes (rectangles and text boxes) so that they do not show.

The pool game was part of a learning process about 10-15 years ago. The time it took was measured in days or even weeks, not hours. Now it may be different, but then I know little about the Excel object model or how to write code with methods and properties. I did some pretty crazy things with Excel, though. In the screen shot below, you could drag the lever with the mouse and the crane jib would move whilst the calculated hydraulic pressure would be displayed on the dial.

Attachments

• Elbow Connector Coloured.xlsx
    12.3 KB · Views: 5
Back