• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Data Validation

DJ

I have applied a data validation in a cell so that user can select values from a list only. However, if user copies any other value different than the list values and paste on the cell having data validation it(cell) accepts this new value.

I actually want to restrict user so that he/she is forced to select list values only. Is there any way to do this?

Good day DJ

Short answer is you can not...........but VBA may help. have a look at this site

http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip98.htm

Some of the VBA ninjas may ride to your help

Hi bobhc,

Thanks for the help, however, whether I have applied validation or not for a range, I am getting error in both the cases.

I would request you to please provide a workbook with the above macro.

Thanks,

DJ

Hi ,

Please find your file here :

http://speedy.sh/Syssj/Data-Validation.xlsm

As explained in the article , I have defined a named range called ValidationRange ; since I have used only one validation range ( the cell G10 ) , this named range refers to that one cell ; if you have a lot of cells which contain validation drop-downs , you can club all of them together and name the collection ValidationRange.

Narayan

I have a question about Data Validation. I want the Data Validation Cell to also have hyperlinks.

I will explain. I have a file with three sheets A B C. I have a cover sheet where there is a cell with a dropdown with options 'A, B and C' being the names of the sheets. Now, I want it to be such that, when I select 'A' from the drop down menu (Data validation), and click on that cell.. it should take me to 'A!A1 (in short, it should take me to the respective sheet.)

how can I do that?

Apurva.

@qqplus2

Hi!

Perhaps you'd want to read the three green sticky posts at this forums main page so as to know the guidelines that will lead to know how this community operates (introducing yourself, posting files, netiquette rules, and so on).

As kickoff start a new topic so as to not hijack DJ's post.

Regards

Good day NARAYANK991

Your worksheet made understanding the link I posted a lot easier for those not familiar with the devils work (VBA)..............but after much head scratching I admit defeat and ask what is the 3 for in cell G2 :)

Hi Bob ,

3 is my lucky number !

Sorry , but I was using that cell to copy and paste to the cell containing the Validation drop-down ; it is in no way related to the macro.

Narayan

Back