• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Currency format conundrum or is it an Excel 2007 bug?

Eloise T

Reference the attached Excel file.
Note how the Currency format is different between cells
H2 and H3.
Here's the problem:
Highlight both cells, then right
click and select Format Cells…
Next select Currency. The first option under
Negative numbers… should already be
highlighted in blue. Next reduce
Decimal Places: to 0 with the down arrow,
and click [OK].
The Format will be Number and not Currency.
WHY?!
I'd like to find out if a newer version of Excel performs correctly.

Attachments

• Chandoo - Formating conundrum.xlsx
    414.8 KB · Views: 8
I agree, that is super annoying! I'm also using the Excel 2007 version. I received the same results. I think it is because the default symbol for currency is 'None'. I'm not sure why, but it appears that the default Only shortcut I can think of that kind of is a fix, is selecting the applicable cells (in this case H2 and H3), selecting CTRL SHFT 4 to turn to currency, and then preferably using the shortcut in the home tab to decrease the decimal points. Again, not an explanation really- but I have no idea why they would create it to have a default of 'none'.

It's due to each cells having different numbering format. Don't know what goes on behind the scene, but if you select range with different number format, "Symbol" will default to "None".

By having no currency symbol, it will be treated as numbers and not currency. When you set format, just select the desired currency symbol from drop down.

It's due to each cells having different numbering format. Don't know what goes on behind the scene, but if you select range with different number format, "Symbol" will default to "None".

By having no currency symbol, it will be treated as numbers and not currency. When you set format, just select the desired currency symbol from drop down.
You know, my eyes simply glossed right over the "Symbol" drop down so I'll be making use of that in the future; however, I'm surprised that even though the $, more often than not is the default, but not in this case from some strange reason.

Thanks for your input!

By the way, Chihiro, were you using 2010 or 2013 or 2016 when you tried it?

Tested with 2010 (US Eng) & 2013 (Japanese).

Default currency symbol will depend on your regional setting, and will be chosen if both cells being formatted has same numbering format prior to change.

Back