• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Creating a chart with different data point formats

SDV

Hi everyone!

You have given me incredible solutions to my previous question, and I hope you can once again help me out here!

1. I want to create a chart that looks like the attached PDF file. I used scatter charts, and added labels as text boxes for the x-axis. So far, so good.

2. I have differentiated the data points (colour, shape, outline) based on performance, functional and leadership ratings, and added + or - to show change from the previous year.

3. I changed the data points one by one to get them the way I wanted, but now I have to do it for hundreds of data points.

Q1. Is there any way to set automatic (or dynamic) chart settings where the data points will get formatted depending on the data used?
Q2. Alternatively, is it possible to use formulas to change data points?

Thank you!

SDV

Attachments

• 2016 Sales VS 2016 Ratings.pdf
    10.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Slide data.xlsx
    11.2 KB · Views: 4
It can be done
You will need 192 Helper columns for each series
that is 3 x 4 x 4 x 2 x 2

Set them up and populate them as appropriate

I will try and get to this in the next day or so, unless somebody else jumps in!

Yes it will handle hundreds of data points per each series

Here is a start
upload_2017-5-17_23-13-19.png
So you will have to manually format 191 more series
Then add your data
then enjoy

See attached file for the layout

Attachments

• Slide data.xlsx
    78.1 KB · Views: 5
Hi Hui,

Do you mean I have to manually format 192 data points? When I add data to any of the cells, many more data points are added to the chart - I don't need 192 data points on the chart, just 1 point to represent 1 value.

I found a VBA that comes close to what I'm looking for:
http://www.clear-lines.com/blog/post/Excel-ScatterPlot-with-labels-colors-and-markers.aspx
http://www.clear-lines.com/blog/post/Excel-ScatterPlot-with-labels-colors-and-markers.aspx
I am trying to edit that to make it run on my data, with more formatting options.

Thanks
SDV

You have 192 combinations of data
3 x 4 x 4 x 2 x 2 = 192

So you need a series for each combination
You have to format each series once
Each series can have as many points as you want

You could write a macro to do it for you if you want

Back