• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

copy new data range to paste special into a pre-existing chart

becha

hi every1

could somebody please advice whats the purpose of the replace existing category checkbox shown in the paste special dialog box displayed whenever the combo alt+ctrl+v is executed on top of a chart??

ive made several attempts to determine its usefulness but cant quite make it (???)

'on paper' it sounds pretty understandable (as in replacing the original categories used to create the chart in the first place) but i cant seem to replicate or execute its purpose!

thanks fellow samaritans out there

keep it cool

signing off

becha

sorry for the insistence dear excel gurus, but hopefully anyone can aid me on this doubt tomorrow?

i apologize if it is a dumb question

thanks!

If you copy a range of data

and then Select a chart and a series and

when you go Ctrl Alt V

you get the option to replace the current Chart Series with your selected data or to add the new data to the current chart as a new Series

You get the option to use the data as Rows or Columns and to use or ignore headings

thanks hui

you know what...im having trouble in getting the checkbox: 'replace existing categories' to work

i have the following configuration of data

columns A B C

row 1 period sales costs

row 2 jan 100 50

row 3 feb 200 100

supposing a chart was previously created using the same layout (but with different data), how must i select the data range above in order to get the 'replace previous categories' chekbox to work???

i tried selecting the whole range a1 thru c3 and then do the copy-past special step...but i dont get the previous categories replaced; i get a message stating only 255 series are allowed to be plotted in the chart; and this last one ends up displaying a mess afterwards!

what could i be doing wrong?

PS.- BTW...the data below period (jan and feb) should be considered the new Categories and the sales and costs data as 2 new set of data series with their own corresponding legends..

somehow..i cannot get the whole replacement of information to successfully replace the previous original data (even when such data has the same type of layout)!

thanks ninja hui; thanks for your assistance..as always...

Back