1. Welcome to Chandoo.org Forums. Short message for you

Hi Guest,

Thanks for joining Chandoo.org forums. We are here to make you awesome in Excel. Before you post your first question, please read this short introduction guide. When posting or responding to questions please remember our values at Chandoo.org are: Humility, Passion, Fun, Awesomeness, Simplicity, Sharing Remember that we have people here for whom English is not there first language and we need to allow for this in our dealings.

Yours,
    Chandoo
  2. Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

3. When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Convert list to tree structure (hierarchical data)

Discussion in 'Discuss Data Visualizations and Charting' started by regresss, May 11, 2018.

1. regresss

regresss New Member

Hi,

I have 2 column table (name, subname). I would like to look up whether each subname for a given name is also used as a name and has a subname. If yes, add this subname behind original subname and repeat for the new subname unless no subname is left, then next row.

[​IMG]

Any idea?

I can calculate the number of rows needed for level 1 by countif(submember,list of submembers) but what about deeper levels? Macro would contain many nested conditions I suppose...
  2. NARAYANK991

NARAYANK991 Excel Ninja

3. regresss

regresss New Member

Thanks. It is helpful.

Isn't there any add in though? The macro from example works only for depth = 8 and is fairly long. My depth can be unknown.

Attached Files:

4. NARAYANK991

NARAYANK991 Excel Ninja

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Thomas Kuriakose likes this.