• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Controlled printing of spreadsheets

ran

I have designed a form in excel. Is it possible to control the number of times it is printed? Generally I want it printed only once and keep track when it was printed. If due to any reason it has to be printed again, I want a water mark printed on the face reading "DUPLICATE".

Just wondering if it is doable.

PS I am a 'new kid' on the Chandoo Block!

Thank you

Ran

Tell me about this form?

I'm guessing it will require a hidden sheet which you'll pop an entry in when you print, if it detects the current form listed on the hidden sheet, do the watermark. I'll play with that idea later if I have time. I have no idea how to execute it, but it shouldn't be too difficult. Hui might have a more elegant solutions, as he always does.

I guess you can write a macro to increment a cell value by 1 whenever someone prints the worksheet. But remember, your users can disable macros and still work with the file.

I'd use a combination of both Dan-L and Chandoo's

As Chandoo said users can disable macro's

So I'd use a macro to hide the sheet you want printed and also use a counter if printed to apply a watermark

That way if macros are disabled they won't be able to print it either

Thank you for the responses.

This form is a receipt for memberships paid for a charity.

Someone tampering with the macros is not an issue.

This controlled printing is to avoid someone printing and mailing a receipt more than once, for one payment. I look at this as a feature to avoid human error.

Please give a little more direction in terms of the logic I should use.

The form has the following fields:

Heading and Logo

Date

Name

Address

Amount of payment in words

Amount of payments in figures

Thank you once again.

Ran

Ahhh.

You'll probably need to create a unique ID per each 'transaction". I assume that this form is pulling the details from a list.

You'll need to either give it a sequential serial or something driven maybe by the date or amount. It doesn't matter. After that, add a field for 'has printed'.

When you print it, make sure the has printed field for the gets a +1.

Back