• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Conditional Formatting Summary

Aidworker17

Dear All,

I have a work sheet where cells in a column could be (conditionally) formatted with a green background or a purple background; or of course no background.

Is it possible to conditionally format the first cell in the column - where the condition is something like <if any cell is in this column is purple or green>, and the format is <make the back ground of the first cell purple> ?

Similarly, if the worksheet has many columns that could be (conditionally) formatted with a green background or a purple background, is it possible
to conditionally format a dedicated cell (say in cell A1) - where the condition is something like <if any cell is in this worksheet is purple or green>, and the format is <make the back ground of the dedicated cell purple> ?

Similarly, could I have a separate worksheet to conditionally format a special cell - where the condition is something like <if any cell is in any worksheet in this spreadsheet is purple or green>, and the format is <make the back ground of the this special cell purple> ?

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Dear pecoflyer,

I have attached 4 files :

1. "Explanation" - explains what the 3 example files are trying to do. The example files correspond to the 3 scenarios in my initial thread.

I did this in a Word document, rather than in the body of this thread, because it made it much easier to format, and therefore much easier for you to read (I hope).

2. "Example 1"

3. "Example 2"

4. "Example 3"

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Attachments

• Explanation.docx
    16.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Example 1.xlsx
    33.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Example 2.xlsx
    33.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Example 3.xlsx
    132.1 KB · Views: 3
Thank you for the effort.
As for me I do not plan to open all these files to try to make out what you want to do.
I'm sure someone else will have time to do this.
Good luck with your query

None of your files has any conditional formatting in them.
Usually the way to do this is to look at the conditional formatting formula and create a new CF formula for the Titles row which returns True if any of the cells below it return a True for their own CF formula. Likewise it *may* be possible to do something similar on the Summary sheet but I'm not sure how willing conditional formatting will be to return information on another sheet.
Really need to know the conditional formatting applied to the individual cells in your sheet(s).
Best attach a workbook like your Example 3.xlsx but with realistic data and actual conditional formatting for the individual cells.

Back