• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Conditional Format based on Partial Match to Range?

Jordan J

Hello! I need some help with a conditional formatting problem that incorporates partial matches. I've uploaded an example problem as an attachment.

I need the cells in Sheet 1, Column B to be highlighted if they contain data that is a partial match to the named range "Real" on sheet "Animals". The cells that should highlight are marked in Column A with a "Y"

Sheet 1 contains more information in each cell than the range "Real".

I've been able to get complete matches from the range to highlight with =ISNUMBER, and I've been able to get individual partial matches to highlight with =SEARCH, but I need something that will do both: highlight cells that partially match a cell within the range.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
-Jordan J

Attachments

• Example Problem.xlsx
    11.6 KB · Views: 4
Another options

Thank you for your hard work- This formula passed the initial test (I typed in 3 lion in another cell and it did not highlight, yay!) however it couldn't pass further testing (I typed in 32 lion and it highlighted: it pinged on the "2 lion" within "32 lion", I believe.) How would one go about tying the position of the search query to the right/front characters?

Back