• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Concatenate text linked to a shape

In the white rectangle, I am using a formula to link to cells O9 and P9. The formula and result I am trying to get is in cell C16. I can link to one cell with no problem. However, when I try to concatenate to another cell I get an error.

Is there a way to do this?

Attachments

PCI

"when I try to concatenate to another cell I get an error"
Yes you can only make reference to one, here C16, you cannot enter formula

You can use a defined name to link the shape text to a cell, even using a named formula to switch between cells, but I believe the name has to resolve to a cell reference.

I entered =CONCAT(BC14," ",BD14) into a cell, then I assigned a name to that cell. In the shape, I did an "=" then used the name I assigned to the cell. I got a reference error.

Peter Bartholomew

What you describe works for me. I have memories of older versions of Excel being more 'touchy'. The procedure can be more precisely described as:
With the shape selected, type "=" followed by a defined name into the formula bar (spaces are not permitted between the "=" and the name).

Note: A commonly used location for the concatenated text is immediately behind and hidden by the shape.

What you describe works for me. I have memories of older versions of Excel being more 'touchy'. The procedure can be more precisely described as:
With the shape selected, type "=" followed by a defined name into the formula bar (spaces are not permitted between the "=" and the name).

Note: A commonly used location for the concatenated text is immediately behind and hidden by the shape.
I'm not sure what you mean. Would it be possible to upload an example?