• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Concatenate names in excel up to a specific range every time

Amit Rana

A. B C
1. Abc. Concatenate b1 to b6
0 Bcd
0 Wfg
0. Bsb
0 Hsjh
0 Hshh
2. Anan. Concatenate b7 to b10
0 Hshjs
0 Bsbh
0 Hshhs
3. Anna. Concatenate b11 to b12
0 Jsjjjsj

It would be easier to understand if you attached a workbook showing a before and after scenario instead of showing as text in the thread. In that manner, we can manipulate the data without having to recreate your workbook.

If you change your data to look like the following

Data Range
A
B
Column1​
Column2​
1​
Abc.​
1​
Bcd​
1​
Wfg​
1​
Bsb​
1​
Hsjh​
1​
Hshh​
2​
Anan.​
2​
Hshjs​
2​
Bsbh​
2​
Hshhs​
3​
Anna.​
3​
Jsjjjs​

then use power Query with the following Mcode

Code:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Source, {"Column1"}, {{"Data", each Text.Combine([Column2], ", "), type text}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"
then the output looks like the following

Data Range
A
B
Column1​
Data​
1​
Abc., Bcd, Wfg, Bsb, Hsjh, Hshh​
2​
Anan., Hshjs, Bsbh, Hshhs​
3​
Anna., Jsjjjs​

It would be easier to understand if you attached a workbook showing a before and after scenario instead of showing as text in the thread. In that manner, we can manipulate the data without having to recreate your workbook.
Ok

Data Range
A
B
Column1​
Column2​
1​
Abc.​
1​
Bcd​
1​
Wfg​
1​
Bsb​
1​
Hsjh​
1​
Hshh​
2​
Anan.​
2​
Hshjs​
2​
Bsbh​
2​
Hshhs​
3​
Anna.​
3​
Jsjjjs​

Code:
let
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Source, {"Column1"}, {{"Data", each Text.Combine([Column2], ", "), type text}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

Data Range
A
B
Column1​
Data​
1​
2​
3​
Anna., Jsjjjs​
Can we insert and instead of comma

Ok

Data Range
A
B
Column1​
Column2​
1​
Abc.​
1​
Bcd​
1​
Wfg​
1​
Bsb​
1​
Hsjh​
1​
Hshh​
2​
Anan.​
2​
Hshjs​
2​
Bsbh​
2​
Hshhs​
3​
Anna.​
3​
Jsjjjs​

Code:
let
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

Data Range
A
B
Column1​
Data​
1​
2​
3​
Anna., Jsjjjs​
Can we insert and instead of comma

In this section of the code change the comma between the quotes to what ever you wish

Combine([Column2], ", "), type text}

for example if you wish to separate with Pipe then

Combine([Column2], "| "), type text}

In this section of the code change the comma between the quotes to what ever you wish

Thanks a lot you helped me ..but can you guide me with the use of code as I have never used one .in excel ...can you please brief me about its implementation ..please ..

Power Query is a free AddIn for Excel 2010 and 2013, and is built-in functionality from Excel 2016 onwards (where it is referred to as "Get & Transform Data").

It is a powerful yet simple way of getting, changing and using data from a broad variety of sources, creating steps which may be easily repeated and refreshed. I strongly recommend learning how to use Power Query - it's among the most powerful functionalities of Excel.

- Follow this link to learn how to install Power Query in Excel 2010 / 2013.

- Follow this link for an introduction to Power Query functionality.

- Follow this link for a video which demonstrates how to use Power Query code provided.

Thanks a lot you helped me ..but can you guide me with the use of code as I have never used one .in excel ...can you please brief me about its implementation ..please ..

Power Query is a free AddIn for Excel 2010 and 2013, and is built-in functionality from Excel 2016 onwards (where it is referred to as "Get & Transform Data").

It is a powerful yet simple way of getting, changing and using data from a broad variety of sources, creating steps which may be easily repeated and refreshed. I strongly recommend learning how to use Power Query - it's among the most powerful functionalities of Excel.

- Follow this link to learn how to install Power Query in Excel 2010 / 2013.

- Follow this link for an introduction to Power Query functionality.

- Follow this link for a video which demonstrates how to use Power Query code provided.
THANK YOU SIR,, can you let me know what changes i would have to make if there are two more coloumns of mobile no. and id are added ... i want to join then using same range as previous

Last edited:
Post a realistic example as an upload with an explanation of what you want. Show a sample mocked up solution also.

SIR, this a mock file i have built .. it has two sheets 1 st one is a question and second is the solution i want .. earlier you gave me a solution it was great for names but now i have more two coloumns to do the same ...
please sir help me .. can you provide me with a code that can do this all at once ...

Attachments

• MOCK PROBLEM.xlsx
    13.6 KB · Views: 4
1. Bring your Data in Power Query
2. Highlight the first column and then on the Transform Tab, Select Fill and Choose Down.
3. Close and Load your data to a Connection Only and check the box to Add to Data Model
4. Open Power Pivot and click on Pivot Table and Select Pivot Table.
5. Next Follow the instructions in this tutorial to create three Measures in your PT.
https://sfmagazine.com/post-entry/july-2018-excel-reporting-text-in-a-pivot-table/
6. Build your Pivot Table as shown in the attached file using your measures.
7. Suggest you adjust the width of the columns and wrap the data

Attachments

• MOCK PROBLEM.xlsx
    157 KB · Views: 4
Can't I have M code for this ...as u suggested earlier ...I cannot run this whole procedure on Different files ..but code is more efficient as per my use

In order to pivot the data you need to use the Concantenatex to build the measures to get the data into the same cells. I will look at alternatives in Power Query, but no guarantees at this time. I am thinking that it may have to build lists to concatenate the data but will need to research as this is not something routine for me. Be patient. But know that my prior solution works and gives results as expected.

Ok. Got a solution for you.
You will build three queries and then merge them together as shown in the attached file.

Data Range
A
B
C
D
ID​
Data​
FID.Data​
LGD.Data​
381​
KAMLA DEVI S/O YAAD RAM​
6915743886​
94666744​
370​
KAMLA DEVI S/O YAAD RAM​
6915743886​
94666744​
433​
RAMESH S/O KAILASH​
427​
PURAN S/O DATA RAM, KRISHAN S/O DATA RAM, INDRAJ S/O DATA RAM, PYARE LAL S/O DATA RAM, PARKASH VEER S/O NAR SINGH, KAMLESH S/O NAR SINGH​
3662328442, 5510450891, 2234980127, 2041630319, 7168755154, 5460291901​
99918774, 99918774, 99918774, 99918774, 99918774, 99918774​
449​
KAILASH S/O AMI LAL​
3572964780​
99918774​
469​
ROHTASH S/O HEERA LAL​
477​
VIJAY KUMAR S/O AMI CHAND​
92972108354​
9466848​
360​
KAILASH S/O AMI LAL​
3572964780​
9466848​
372​
KAILASH S/O AMI LAL​
3572964780​
9466848​
334​
BHAGWAN DASS S/O AMI LAL, RAMAVTAR S/O AMI LAL​
9416726​
409​
RAM CHANDER S/O ANGNA RAM, KRISHAN S/O ANGNA RAM, PARTAP S/O RAMSWROOP, RAMKISHOR S/O RAMSWROOP, ASHOK S/O RAMSWROOP​
436​
SUMER SINGH S/O RAM JI LAL​
2440566105​
981640​
560​
PRADEEP S/O MANGE RAM​
4146412390​
9468009​
580​
MAHAVIR S/O MANGLA RAM, PRADEEP S/O MANGE RAM, RAVI S/O KRISHAN KUMAR​
8636037144, 4146412390, 5325352190​
9811284, 9467009, 7588943​
801​
KAMLA S/O HARFOOL, BALBIR S/O BUDHRAM, RAJPAL S/O BHOOP SINGH, OMPARKASH S/O BHOOP SINGH, SUBHRAM S/O BHOOP SINGH, HANSRAJ S/O BHOOP SINGH, JAINARAYAN S/O BUDHRAM, JAGDISH S/O BUDHRAM, ATTAR SINGH S/O BUDHRAM, RAMESH S/O RATI RAM, BALJEET S/O RATI RAM, VINOD S/O LAXMI NARAYAN, VED S/O GANPAT, HOSHIYAR S/O BANWARI LAL, RAMESH S/O BANWARI LAL, RAMNIWASH S/O BANWARI LAL, MAHAVIR S/O BANWARI LAL, RAJESH S/O BASTI RAM, SAJJAN S/O BASTI RAM, PURAN MAL S/O SHIMBHU, SHER SINGH S/O SHISH RAM, RANDHIR SINGH S/O SHISH RAM, SATPAL S/O KUNDAN, DHARMBIR S/O OMPARKASH, VIJAY S/O SULTAN​
870897, 946667, 94668267​

Attachments

• MOCK PROBLEM.xlsx
    150.2 KB · Views: 5
Respected sir,
I was successfully able to run query on 1st and 2nd column but in the third column it is showing error in cells.. here is a thumbnail attached to it.
can you let me know what mistake I am making....

Attachments

• error.png
    error.png
    150.8 KB · Views: 4
Sir I have formatted the column as text but it's still showing error in last column maximum cells but few cells are filled with numbers while running query . Do I need to change anything else in code or format .

Just to provide options (as it stands, requiring Microsoft 365), I have tried a formula solution (shown on the mock solution sheet).
The key was to create a set of IDs equivalent to the PowerQuery fill down and a list of distinct IDs.
Code:
= LET(
  k, SEQUENCE(ROWS(Table1)),
  k₀, IF(Table1[ID]<>"", k),
      XLOOKUP(k, k₀, Table1[ID], , -1) )
I used the function UNIQUE(ID) to extract a list of distinct IDs (there was a slight mismatch with the mock solution) and then
Code:
= TEXTJOIN(", ", 1, IF(ID=@DistinctID#, Table1[NAMES], "") )
= TEXTJOIN(", ", 1, IF((ID=@DistinctID#)*( Table1[FID]<>""), Table1[FID], "") )
= TEXTJOIN(", ", 1, IF((ID=@DistinctID#)*( Table1[LGD]<>""), Table1[LGD], "") )
to return the data

Attachments

• DataExtraction.xlsx
    148.2 KB · Views: 5
Sorry to ask but ..how to implement it ...in parts or whole at once ..in query ..

I think I'll timely become excellent at excel by your help

Last edited:
These are perfectly standard Excel formulas but written in terms of defined Names and using some recent functions that are only available in Microsoft 365.

If you do not have the SEQUENCE function you could insert a helper field into the table containing the record numbers 'k'. k₀ would be a Named formula. XLOOKUP could be replaced by the older LOOKUP function. UNIQUE IDs can be selected manually or using MATCH/SMALL/INDEX. TEXTJOIN, I think, was an Office 2016 function; it is pretty much indispensable here.

You may well wish to stick with PowerQuery, depending upon the version of Excel you are using.

Hey peter I am using office 365 .. can you let me know the step by step process what to do ... the earlier solution provided by alan sidman was sucessfull but I should have a alternative too.. because i am not used to work in excel so much i am a beginner to it...
if u could just do the need and tell me what to do ..
i tried to understand the above through internet but i was unabale to..

Back