• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Compatibility Best Practices

dan_l

Ehhhh: I hate this. I have to send a 'simple' dashboard to somebody. Trouble is, I have no idea what version of excel they're using. I don't really know them from Adam, nor me them so I've intentionally not used VBA. I don't even know what version of Excel they're using, but it's reasonable to assume 03.

So my question: How does the 07 to 03 compatibility thing work? I know it's "double click and excel does some stuff", but does anybody know exactly what happens? What steps do I need to take to ensure this thing works without a snag?

Some specifics:

I used sumifs. Should I change this to sumproduct just to be sure?

How about getpivotdata? I know the syntax slightly changes between 03 and 07, but I've never tried using gpd in 07 and moving it over to 03.

Finally: anybody have a copy of 03 live on their pc this weekend to give it a quick test?

2003 is probably the safest way to ensure compatibility.

Sumifs is only available in Excel 2007 +, so definitely change those to Sumproduct

When Saving As, excel will tell you what else is not compatible, ignore color and style prompts, but check out the rest of the messages

Why not contact him/her and ask first before going to the trouble.

Ahhh so save it as an 03 document here so their system doesn't automate compatibility?

If you save as an '03 version you will be prompted as to what is incompatible and then can resolve it before sending.

If you have Excel 2003 as well, it is best to develop and save in 2003, thus ensuring compatibility

Back