• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Column & Step Line Combo Chart

Debraj

Excel Ninja
Hi Team,
  • Two parameter : CSAT Survey Count & CSAT Average Score,
  • I want to plot Count as Column Chart (Primary) and Average as Step Line Chart (Secondary).
    • So that I can show the Customer Satisfaction level more clearly.
Just a glimpse below.. how the final chart should look like..
upload_2014-8-10_1-49-19.png

PS:
  • Area Chart instead of Step line chart.. also acceptable.

Attachments

• Column and Step Combo.xlsx
    20.2 KB · Views: 9
Debraj,
You are close

Columns to Primary Axis
Line to the secondary Axis
Adjust Secondary Horizontal Axis range to be the same as the primary
upload_2014-8-10_12-11-14.png
Then set the secondary axis to White Color and White Line Color
upload_2014-8-10_12-13-24.png

See attached

Attachments

• Column and Step Combo_Hui.xlsx
    22.1 KB · Views: 7
Hi Hui..

as expected.. you gave me the clue.. :)
after a lots consideration, I end-up with Area & Scatter..

upload_2014-8-10_12-3-55.png

Atleast its plotting both series in same gridlines... unlike our both above chart..

Still looking if you can able to change the Area (Count Series) to Column ..
like below..

upload_2014-8-10_12-16-1.png

Thanks a lot..

Attachments

• Column and Step Combo_Deb.xlsx
    34.3 KB · Views: 5
Hi Debraj ,

Can you explain the relationship between the two indices ?

And what does the line at 9.05 signify ?

Narayan

upload_2014-8-10_12-27-40.png

OK in complete week.. (4th may to 10th may) we have received 111 survey results.. and average Score provided by customer is 9.00 (out of 10)

So, Count is just a measure value to show.. how many customer has completed the survey..

Now Average is the Key indicator.. where target is 9.05..

Previously it was like this..

upload_2014-8-10_12-32-48.png

If you have better visualization to plot those matrix.. I am ready to adapt it..

Happy Raakhi.. :)

Hi Debraj ,

I have not thought about it , so I cannot submit anything better , at least for now.

My point in asking this question , is that any visualization is supposed to present a picture ; charting for charting's sake is not really visualization , though bosses might like it.

Your CSAT Average Score is a measure of quality ; the CSAT Survey Count is a measure of quantity.

Presenting the two measures in one chart is implying that there is a relationship between the two , when in actual fact there may not be ; I do not know , so I cannot say whether this is true.

If it is not true , then it is not proper visualization.

Secondly , CSAT Average Score is showing a gradual upward trend ; by adding the CSAT Survey Count , you are not adding value to the chart by presenting additional information ; in my opinion , it is only distracting from the information that is presented with a single line chart having only CSAT Average Score.

This is just my opinion , and only you can say whether there is any merit in what I have said.

Narayan

I agree Narayan..

however.. somehow getting 9.9 only in 10 Survey.. and 9.5 in 70 Survey has more better quality... (as per our honorable visualization expert bosses)
So they want to look both as a Quality measure..

I think its easy to create the requested chart.. then proposing them to believe both as different matrix.. :)

Hi Debraj ,

I do not wish to argue ; just sort your data on the count , and plot it as an X-Y scatter chart , and see for yourself whether there is any relationship between the count and the quality measure.

Commonsense tells us there is no relationship , but if your bosses think there is , it is OK with me.

Narayan

Back