• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Circular references

peten

Hi,
I have 4 excel workbooks inter-relate, exchanging data from each other. Since a few days, excel reports a circular reference in between the workbooks and tells me that he can’t show me the failure. I am searching since several days after this fault but can’t find it. Excel is working very slow and practical unusable. Is there a way to find such a fault?
NB: each workbook is between 20 and 60 Mbytes and I have a I7 processor last generation with 64 ram and a SSD of 1T byte.
Thanks, in advance
C. Peten

Hi, it's what may - often ! - happen when Excel is used for what it was not designed for​
as it is very not a database software !​
So in the Formulas menu you have the Circular References option within some Checking Errors list box …​

I always try every possibility of excel, including the circular references options including the checking errors list. Excel answer is always the same "he is not able te show the cells that are involved.
I am an excel user since the very beginning (when excel didn't exist and ii was Lotus 1-2-3 and before that visicalc.
If nobody couldn't solve this problem this till now , I will continue my investigation.
In any case the 4 workbooks are NOT databases (I am familiar with ACCESS and before with Dbase from Borland).
These workbooks are accounting books threatening the finance of a medium company.
Thanks in advance
C. Peten - 30/03/2023-23:35

I always try every possibility of excel, including the circular references options including the checking errors list. Excel answer is always the same "he is not able te show the cells that are involved.
I am an excel user since the very beginning (when excel didn't exist and ii was Lotus 1-2-3 and before that visicalc.
If nobody couldn't solve this problem this till now , I will continue my investigation.
In any case the 4 workbooks are NOT databases (I am familiar with ACCESS and before with Dbase from Borland).
These workbooks are accounting books threatening the finance of a medium company.
Thanks in advance
C. Peten - 30/03/2023-23:35
I think use Power Query is the easiest way to combine 4 workbooks into 1. Please try to investigate this way.

Regards

I made every days a backup (father and grandfather) but I discovered the fault (circular referenties) days later and my backups are also contaminated.
This is a lesson for me; I should organised my backups in an other way. Notice that these workbooks are changing every days and it is very difficult to go back in the past time and to recreate the present.
As I understand there is no real method to recover such a circular reference and I will try with Power Query to combine the 4 woorbooks. thanks for the tip.
Best regards
C. Peten

Back