• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Category Rules

JenniferS

Hello,

On the Transactions sheet there are Merchants that I would like apply rules for Category and Subcategory with VBA Code.

Criteria is based on the table in columns K to M. The code will paste the Category in column E and Subcategory in column F to the Merchants that each time appear in the Transactions table column D.

Is this possible to do?

Thank you

Attachments

• BOB 15.23.xlsb
    755.3 KB · Views: 8
Hello thanks but it must be VBA because it will allow the user to manually enter the Category or Subcategory for the Merchant. The reason for the rules is so from a particular Merchant it will always be the same Category and Subcategory.

Hello,​
as you use an Excel table so it can be directly achieved with a beginner level VLOOKUP formula without any VBA procedure​
or am I missing something ?​

I cannot use formulas. Most of the transactions will have manual entries for Category and Subcategory that applies to the Merchants.

The VBA rule that I requested will apply only to the set Merchant - Category - Subcategory in Columns K - M that will apply to the main table whenever that Merchant appears.

For instance Exxon will always be Auto_Transport and Fuel/Car Wash.

But Walmart as a merchant might be different category and subcategory.

I hope you understand what the VBA code is for and that formulas cannot occupy cells that might have manual input.

Thank you

Last edited:
As starting with formulas in an Excel table is the easy way to go 'cause any formula can be replaced with a manual input !​
Anyway, well elaborate with details how / when the VBA procedure should be launched​
and what exactly it should achieve in order there is nothing to guess …​

Back