• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Calculating GROWTH

darbary

Can you guide me as to how does one calculate “GROWTH” in Excel Worksheets?

In high risk (Short Term) stock selection, I would like to select those companies that have shown a “Loss to Profit” in say Latest Quarter or Latest Financial Year.

And I would like to even RANK them.

For example say latest Quarter the PAT (Profit After Tax) is Rs.100 & the earlier Quarter the PAT is Rs.110. Then we would calculate by using the formula =(110-100)/100 to get 10% GROWTH.

But how does one calculate GROWTH when there was say loss (PAT) in the earlier Quarter. (Say -1) & Latest Quarter the PAT is 100?

And the next Question is according to me I would RANK higher if say loss (PAT) in the earlier Quarter is say -100 & latest Quarter the PAT is 200.

I need to work on a spread sheet containing over 1000 such stocks having Quarterly PAT Values.

My 3rd Question would be what if there was no profit & no loss say if the PAT is Zero in the earlier Quarter?

Thanks

darbary

thaks for yr reply.

but sorry this wont work.

assume prevQtr is 50 & thisQtr is 100

ABS(prevQtr-thisQtr)/100 will be 50%

whereas the Growth actually is 100%

Darbary

Welcome to the Chandoo.org Forums

=IF(Prev=0,"Something",IF(This>Prev,100*(This-Prev)/Prev,This-Prev)/Prev)

should do what you want

Change This and Prev to be teh cells as relevent

If the Prev Qtr was 0 you will have either infinite or -infinite growth

Change the "Something" to either a message or a Number that your organisation is happy with, a lot of people call that 100% growth where it is in fact a lot higher.

Also Format your cell as %

Thanks Hui,

Mabybe there is a small typo in your =IF(Prev=0,"Something",IF(This>Prev,100*(This-Prev)/Prev,This-Prev)/Prev)

Should it be =IF(Prev=0,"Something",IF(This>Prev,100*(This-Prev)/Prev)????

Anyway most of the publications put LP (Loss to Profit) instead of "Something"

What I am seeking is that RANKING of LP.

Also instead of Prev=0 I am seeking for Prev= -ve Values. And its RANKING.

Any help? Anyone?

To add a Rank add an extra column at the end of your data and use the Rank formula

=Rank(Cell, Range, Order)

Cell is the cell being ranked

Range is the list of all cells being ranked

Order is optional, 0 = Descending, 1 = Ascending

Back