• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Budget vs Actual Chart--April 2009 post

maradykstra

I was reviewing the charts in the April 2009 post on budget vs actual. I really liked #6 because it was very simple. How would one go about creating a similar chart? How do you put the solid line above or below the bar graph?

Thank you. Below is the link to the post.

http://chandoo.org/wp/2009/04/05/budget-vs-actual-charts/

JaElle

Setup the chart as a Clustered Column Chart

Change the Series so there is 100% overlap, ie: One column is in front of the other

Change the Budget series to a line chart

Set the line color to none

Set the marker style to a Flat Line

Change the marker width to make it the same width as the bar

Chnage colors and other chart properties to suit

Thank you Hui. If you had to choose a detailed chart from the charts submitted on that post, which would choose? I am going to be creating one for my work and am debating which one. I really like the dynamic charts and may go that route.

JaElle

Dynamic charts are charts that have some level of interactivity built in whether it be selecting data, changing scales or ranges etc.

All chart types can be made dynamic

I don't get hung up on chart types or fancy bits, call me old fashioned but it is the story the charts tell me that is important not the font, color or 3d'ness of the chart.

The type of chart used depends on what type of data you are showing

Historical data I prefer a 13 month line chart, with Actual & Budget lines

Simple Bar charts with no more than about 6-7 categories good for showing category vs category for a range of scenarios/ranges/divisions etc

I do like waterfall charts for explaining variances both financial and non-financial reasons

Technical data, scatter graphs for A vs B comparison

Pie charts - That what my dining table looks like half way though dinner on Friday Nights, don't see any other need for them

Back