• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Bar chart rounded corners? [SOLVED]

MrBramme

Hi,

Can anyone help me to figure out how to make bar charts (so bar's going up vertically) with rounded tips?

example here : http://blog.visual.ly/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/rounded-bars.png?547b7b

Am using office 2010. I tried different methods (error bars, secondary chart with dots, ...) but each time my rounded tip is a few pixels off and it wrecks my purpose :)

And for the record: i want something that fits always, not a one shot (so no manual aligning a circle shape :D)

Any help is much appreciated!

Grtz,

Bram

Hi Bram ,

It is not an exact reproduction of the chart you have shown , but I think it may be close enough.

Try the method given here :

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/chart-columns-t1784977.html

If you want , I can upload a sample file.

Narayan

Bram

Use a Column Chart

Add a second series as a Scatter Chart

Set line color to none

Set Scatter chart marker to a Circle

set the size right

set colors the same

Refer: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zhxbsfzki3503nj/Bram%20Pink%20Columns.xlsx

You may have to fiddle with the Marker and Column sizes to get it to match up well

Good day Hui

Now that's one for the books.

Bram

If you adjust the gap width on the Primary Axis to 13% the data bars match perfectly

Hi All,

i think we can create a shape like the one shown in the attached pic and simply paste it over the conventional bar chart, that will work as well.

Regards,

Bobhc

The size of Columns and Markers will be different on every system. They were perfect on my system when I posted the file and 13% won't guarantee that they will match on Bram's system, he will have to adjust them himself to make them match

Faseeh

If you use a single shape with a rounded top it will get stretched and make either long and slender or short and squat

Many thanks for the replies, especially for the lovely pink charts, i guess i should have mentionned this was a google picture search result and i didn't need them pink ;-)

but last night it hit me like a brick what I did wrong with the error bars. they offer the best result as they'll fit on every system.

basicly i did this:

- Made a bar chart

- Added dummy data

- Added error bars (negative only) to the bars with custom value the bar data itself (so my error bar goes from 0 to the bar top)

- Made my bar fill "no fill" (and added a data label)

- formatted the error bar as follow:

* no caps

* in the line style: cap type --> round

works like a charm :)

many thanks again for thinking along on this one!

Just be careful with Error Bars and large line sizes.

I have seen the error bars disappear when you scroll a chart with them off the screen and then back on

To make them reappear simply select the chart.

thanks for the heads up Hui, I'll keep an eye out for the little buggers :)

Might be a "semi" fix to keep the bar in the same color as the error bar so there's always something ... and the color is off course pink ;-)

Back