1. Welcome to Chandoo.org Forums. Short message for you

Hi Guest,

Thanks for joining Chandoo.org forums. We are here to make you awesome in Excel. Before you post your first question, please read this short introduction guide. When posting or responding to questions please remember our values at Chandoo.org are: Humility, Passion, Fun, Awesomeness, Simplicity, Sharing Remember that we have people here for whom English is not there first language and we need to allow for this in our dealings.

Yours,
    Chandoo
  2. Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

3. When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Auto Populate from Source Sheet

Discussion in 'Ask an Excel Question' started by fareedexcel, Nov 13, 2017.

1. fareedexcel

fareedexcel New Member

Dear Experts,

I tried auto populating the data from the source sheet. I tried with Index and Match Function, but I'm getting an error. Could you please advise why the error occurs and what would be the correct formula.

Attached Files:

2. alacrity59

alacrity59 Member

If you look at column C you are asking to index 1,2. I.e. row 1 and column 2. The range you are indexing on is only one column wide.
  3. AlanSidman

AlanSidman Active Member

try this {=INDEX(Master!$C$2:$C$5731,MATCH(1,($A2=Master!$A$2:$A$5731)*(Answer!B$1=Master!$B$2:$B$5731),0))}

Instead of just using the enter key, you must use Ctl + Shift +Enter

This is an array formula

Array Formula
    ...confirmed by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to activate the array, not just ENTER. You will know the array is active when you see curly braces { } appear around your formula. If you do not CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER you will get an error or a clearly incorrect answer.
  4. fareedexcel

fareedexcel New Member

Thanks Alan. Formula is working fine