• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Array Fomula: Last Data Row Not Fully Extracted

Good day All, I have an array formula in the uploaded spreadsheet to extract rows from the data table based on a single criterion from the drop-down. The trouble is that the last row of the data is only partially extracting, the first cell fills the remainder of the row errors out to blank. Any ideas would be great and Thanks.

Attachments

• Array Fomula Last Row Not Extracted.xlsx
    34.3 KB · Views: 7
In your formula, you're changing the array sizes with INDIRECT. In there, it's using COUNTA to look at the columns. However, on your raw data sheet, only column A has data in row 1, so the results of this function vary from column to column in your output.

Change formula to:
=IFERROR(INDEX('RAW DATA'!A:A,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH($F$2,INDIRECT("'RAW DATA'!$A3:$A"&COUNTA('RAW DATA'!$A:$A)))),ROW(INDIRECT("'RAW DATA'!$A3:$A"&COUNTA('RAW DATA'!$A:$A))),""),ROW()-2)),"")

Note, if you use Tables like in attached, formula is a bit simpler.

Attachments

• Array Fomula With Table.xlsx
    36.2 KB · Views: 4
Because COUNTA('RAW DATA'!B:B) evaluates to 27...
So your formula only looks for range A3:A27.

Either use COUNTA('RAW DATA'!A:A) or add place holder value in B1.

Enter anything into cells B1 and C1 of RAW DATA and you data will be complete.
To avoid having to do that, you're using COUNTA(B:B) and COUNTA(C:C) in your formulae in columns B and C, it would be better to use COUNTA($A:$A) as in change formula in cell A3 from:
=IFERROR(INDEX('RAW DATA'!A:A,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH($F$2,INDIRECT("'RAW DATA'!$A3:$A"&COUNTA('RAW DATA'!A:A)))),ROW(INDIRECT("'RAW DATA'!$A3:$A"&COUNTA('RAW DATA'!A:A))),""),ROW()-2)),"")

to:
=IFERROR(INDEX('RAW DATA'!A:A,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH($F$2,INDIRECT("'RAW DATA'!$A3:$A"&COUNTA('RAW DATA'!$A:$A)))),ROW(INDIRECT("'RAW DATA'!$A3:$A"&COUNTA('RAW DATA'!$A:$A))),""),ROW()-2)),"")

and copy down and across.

Thanks for the help everyone. It appears I may need to look at a lighter option, the array formulas, when applied in my actual spreadsheet (52 X 700), are a real drag on the processor. Perhaps I will begin a new line of internet research into VBA row extraction. Nothing ventured, nothing learned... Thanks Again.

Another formula approach

Rather than have each formula in your sheet calculate the array, have one column determine the row number needed to pull. (remove the INDEX portion, just need SMALL to return numbers) Let's say that's now in col A of your output sheet. Then, your other cells can be simply:

=INDEX('Raw Data'A:A, A3)

Now you can pull as many columns as you want w/o increasing calculation overhead.

Thanks all for chipping in. I would really like to avoid VBA if I can. Luke, I suppose I'm not quite understanding your advice. I assume that you intend the formula to be something like the one below, as an array? I tried it but seem to be getting nowhere. What am I missing?

=IFERROR(SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH($F$2,INDIRECT("'RAW DATA'!$A3:$A"&COUNTA('RAW DATA'!$A:$A)))),ROW(INDIRECT("'RAW DATA'!$A3:$A"&COUNTA('RAW DATA'!$A:$A))),""),ROW()-2),"")

…or a pivot table is quite fast and light. In the attached, two pivot tables (difference is only whether labels are repeated or not - delete the one you don't want) and a slicer.

Attachments

• Chandoo36110Array Fomula Last Row Not Extracted.xlsx
    41.2 KB · Views: 2
The INDIRECT functions are also killing you, since they're so VOLATILE. Here's the fleshed out version of my idea.

Attachments

• Array Fomula With Table2.xlsx
    144.4 KB · Views: 4
@Seeker After

If you have Excel 2013 or above, you can use table level Slicers to get this effect. Just set up your raw data as a table and add slicer on Cert. Std column. I am not sure what is the purpose of such filtering (as you mentioned you have lots of data and even with filters you are bound to see several rows).

You may also consider using a helper column to fetch the index numbers of rows that need to be shown and then use INDEX() to fetch contents. This will be heaps faster than a one shot array formula. You can of course hide the helper column.

Back