• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

After pressing Ctrl+Down arrow excel does not stop in between values

AAP

Hi Everyone,
I have a strange problem. I have attached a file along with this thread. The excel file I received from some one does not stop in between values when I press Ctrl + DownArrow. However, in the same excel file If I type the same values or even copy it it stops. I don't know what could be this issue. Thanks a lot for help.

Attachments

• Problem Sheet.xlsx
    8.8 KB · Views: 16
Hi,
Dont know why this is happening, i just tried pressing delete key on blank cells, now working fine.

Hi Khalid,
That's true its working after pressing Delete key. But I have large file of some 1,000,000 plus rows. I took my whole day if I press delete key in between empty rows. Any quick solution?
Many thanks to you for at least discover new for me.

Hi Somendra, Cool..... its working like a charm. Many thanks dear you have saved my whole day :)

Thats really cool.

I would like to share my idea which you may explore to save your time in difFerent scenario.

Select Data -- Press F5 -- Select Blanks -- ok-----YOU ARE DONE. Excel will automatically select your all the blanks cell from your selected data and you can pressa delete or insert colour or whatever you want to do with those blank cells.

Hope it will help you.

Thats really cool.

I would like to share my idea which you may explore to save your time in difFerent scenario.

Select Data -- Press F5 -- Select Blanks -- ok-----YOU ARE DONE. Excel will automatically select your all the blanks cell from your selected data and you can pressa delete or insert colour or whatever you want to do with those blank cells.

Hope it will help you.

Sorry, this does not make sense to me: "Select Data -- Press F5 -- Select Blanks -- ok-----YOU ARE DONE. "
Do you mean [dont 'Select anything!'] Press F5 select "Special" select "Blanks". This highlights all the blank cells but what do you do with them now?
I am still stuck with the ctrl-> skipping over populated cells.

Hi Somendra, that worked beautifully for me, thanks. But I don't quite understand "why" it worked, can you explain?
Regards,
Dave

Hi AAP,

Select the entire column, go to Data Tab -- Select Text To Column -- Press Next Two times and than select Text and than finish.

Regards,

Awesome. @Soumendra Misra - worked brilliantly. Out of sheer interest, and same as Dave, would like to know how if fundamentally fixed the issue.

@jesalmehta @DaveUnr ... Thanks for writing. Basically, when you import data from other sources...many times the blank looking cells are not blanks exactly. They contain data which Excel treats as data...but it looks blank to us, that's why excel jump to last cell when you press Ctrl+down arrow.
The same can be seen by going to advanced options of Excel, than scrolling down, there you will see an option of Transition Navigation Key under Lotus compatibility. Select that option. Now if you go to blank looking cell, than you can see ' in formula bar. Infact every data starts with ', so Excel convert the cell with ' as blank. When you do Text-to-Column it deletes all such unreadable characters.

Regards.

Back