• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

ADODB ACEODBC Query with NOT IN condition takes long

Shreedhar

Hi Gurus, I am using ADODB (ACEODBC driver) to Query Workbook/sheets, The worksheet does not have heavy volume data (~1500 rows) I use LIKE /NOT LIKE filters in the WHERE clause and it returns the result in a jiffy.

however, that's not the case with NOT IN condition, takes long time but return the result, could you please suggest ways to improve performance/ any suggestions would immensely help me.

As Always, Thanks for your time

Regards, Shreedhar

NOT IN by it's nature will take longer, it has to iterate over record set.
Instead of using NOT IN. Do a Left Join and filter the result on null or not null.

Edit: Normally I'd use NOT EXISTS(subquery) in t-sql. But not sure if you can use it in ODBC query.

Last edited:
NOT IN by it's nature will take longer, it has to iterate over record set.
Instead of using NOT IN. Do a Left Join and filter the result on null or not null.

Edit: Normally I'd use NOT EXISTS(subquery) in t-sql. But not sure if you can use it in ODBC query.
Thanks will try not exists.

If that doesn't work, try the LEFT JOIN/IS NULL. It is semantic equivalent to NOT EXISTS.

Code:
Select l.*
FROM Table_Left as l
LEFT JOIN
    Table_Right as r
ON r.Column = l.Column
WHERE r.Column IS NULL

FYI - If you are using actual SQL server, not ODBC to Excel, 'NOT IN' will be faster than LEFT JOIN / IS NULL, but there is difference in how NULLs are handled.

If that doesn't work, try the LEFT JOIN/IS NULL. It is semantic equivalent to NOT EXISTS.

Code:
Select l.*
FROM Table_Left as l
LEFT JOIN
    Table_Right as r
ON r.Column = l.Column
WHERE r.Column IS NULL

FYI - If you are using actual SQL server, not ODBC to Excel, 'NOT IN' will be faster than LEFT JOIN / IS NULL, but there is difference in how NULLs are handled.

Thanks Chihiro, Compared to NOT IN condition, LEFT JOIN with NULL Check is super fast.

Back