• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Adding specific values in a list..HELP!

Aram87

Hi my name is Aram. I'm been doing some browsing on this Site and I just want to say thanks for all the helpful information (considering that I'm relatively new to the whole Excel thing). However, I have a small problem.

I'm trying to find the sum of specific values in a list. Here's the scenario.

In sheet 1 I have Table A with columns X, Y and Z. Column X lists names, column y lists a dollar value, and column z lists a date. In sheet 2 I have table B with Columns T and U. Column T has names in alphabetical order and column U should have the sum of specific dollar values in column Y of Table A. So if John(x) pays $500(y) on Feb. 2(z) and $600 on Feb 23(z) how can I get the sum of those to values ($500+$600) to show up in column U? So that when Susy(x) makes payments I exclude her from the sum.

Essentially I'd like a spreadsheet that automatically updates a value based on the continuous additions by a person into their account.

I hope this makes sense...

Please help, or let me know if you need more info.

Aram

Enter this in Sheet2, Cell U2 and copy down

=+SUMPRODUCT(1*(Sheet1!$X$2:$X$22=Sheet2!T2)*(Sheet1!$Y$2:$Y$22))

Change the $22 value to suit your range on Sheet1

You can also use sumif(), it is much simpler to understand and work with when you have just one condition on the sum.

For eg. =SUMIF(Sheet1!$X$2:$X$22,Sheet2!T2,Sheet1!$Y$2:$Y$22) will work too.

You can learn more about the power of sumif here: http://chandoo.org/wp/2008/11/12/using-countif-sumif-excel-help/

Back