• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Add labels from custom regions to map

I'm relatively new to maps (and really enjoying it!); I've googled this and haven't been able to really find an answer yet. I wanted to find out if there is a way to add labels to the map based on custom regions, so I am consulting the experts! I've already imported the custom regions, and they work perfectly, but I would like to add the name of the custom region, and I can't see a way to do that. I see that I can add text boxes, but I would like this to be something that automatically updates if I use filters and such.

Thanks in advance!
YL

Is it Maps in Data tab or Maps in PowerView?

Also, does these labels need to be permanently displayed? Or just as tool tip?

It is the 3D Map from the insert menu in Excel 2016 (office 365). I'm not seeing maps in the data tab, and I just enabled PowerView, so I need to do a little more research on that end.

Regarding labels, I would want them to be permanent (or at least toggle on and off) - we aren't quite interactive yet, so I would need to print the maps, and labels would be helpful in some instances.

Thanks!
Yvonne

Hmm, one method is to add annotation by right clicking on the data point. However, this isn't automated and you'll need to CTRL + CLICK multiple data points to add many at once.

Another is to have labels in the custom map/scene built in.

Maps visual is limited in it's capacity and flexibility. Personally, I rarely use maps that require labels. In my opinion, maps that doesn't tell a story at a glance, fails as data visualization (for reporting).

Data exploration/tour using tool tip is another matter, and maps can do pretty interesting things there.

EDIT: Oh, forget about Data tab that I mentioned. I forgot I customized my ribbon to suite my preference. By default, it should be in Insert tab for PowerMaps.

Last edited:
Back