• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

9-box plotting in Excel

danagsf

hi all, I need to populate a 9-box grid but the potential is evaluated on a scale of 1-3 and the performance on a scale of 1 to 4. How do I plot them on a 9-box? Many thanks!

danagsf
There were and still are some links ...
I gotta take care some of those ...
Did You mean this or
did You give other clear idea of Your needs?

Attachments

• 9 box grid placement.xlsx
    23.1 KB · Views: 26
danagsf
There were and still are some links ...
I gotta take care some of those ...
Did You mean this or
did You give other clear idea of Your needs?
Thank you vletm - I need to be able to plot this in a 9 grid box not a 4 box grid, and problem is usually the scales are 1 to 3 for both potential and performance. in my case, the company decided to go with a scale of 1 to 4 for performance and 1 to 3 for potential, so I cannot really place the employees properly as it is not 3x3 - it is 4x3. I can say that for performance 1 and 2 should be considered 'low'. However, I also have an issue with placing because when let's say someone is at 1 potential and 1 performance, they would not be visible in the grid - I think in some cases there is a calibration such as multiplying both sides by a coefficient but not sure how to do it when scales are different...Thanks so much for any ideas you may have

danagsf
Isn't that a 9 grid box?
issue 'lets say' case 1/1 ... can see 'DOT'
Screenshot 2019-08-18 at 11.00.40.png
as well as 'lets say' 4/3 ... can see 'DOT'
Screenshot 2019-08-18 at 11.00.50.png
What is Your challenge?

Thanks - my challenge is that simply put, I know where employees should be placed in the 9 boxes according to the rate of their potential and performance if those are rated low, medium, high as per attached file. However, in my example since one dimension is rated from 1 to 4 and the other dimension is rated from 1 to 3, I am having a hard time designing the formula that will automatically place the employees in the right boxes on the 9 box quadrant. pls see attached - perhaps it is a bit better explained - apologies, I am not sure I clarified. thanks again!

Attachments

26 KB · Views: 20
danagsf
You're using term 'simply' ... what ever that would mean?
This file shows the corrected place in grid.
With those scale-values, Your 'box values' would always place on a borderline - not 'in any box'.

Attachments

23.1 KB · Views: 22
hi all, I managed to design the table but now only a few of the employees appear in the chart ... I am unable to add all employees. Is there a limit maybe to the number of items with data labels that can be plotted in the 9 box? also if I look at the calculation it seems that the employees that do not show in the chart are those for which the values are over 3.0 so maybe I am making an error in calculation?
Adam32B#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A4.933334.21905
Bob32B#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A54
Charlie32B#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A5.066673.78095
Dan32B#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A5.133333.84762
Evan32B#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A5.23.91429
Frank32B#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A5.266674.12381
Jim32B#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A5.333334.19048
Jose32B#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A5.44.54286
Tim32B#N/A#N/A#N/A#N/A5.466674.75238
Zack32G#N/A#N/A5.533334.9619#N/A#N/A

danagsf
the potential is evaluated on a scale of 1-3 and the performance on a scale of 1 to 4
if potential is 2 and performance is 3 ... total 5 (if no take care of scale)
if only notice value 5 could plot in many possible 'boxes'
... because potential could be 1-4 and performance could be 1-4 ( but total value max 5)
( eg potential = 1 and performance = 4 or potential = 4 and performance = 1 ... plots in different 'box' )
refer to Your used Excel-file as in #8 Reply.
... and
... You should give those values with Excel-file!

danagsf
the potential is evaluated on a scale of 1-3 and the performance on a scale of 1 to 4
if potential is 2 and performance is 3 ... total 5 (if no take care of scale)
if only notice value 5 could plot in many possible 'boxes'
... because potential could be 1-4 and performance could be 1-4 ( but total value max 5)
( eg potential = 1 and performance = 4 or potential = 4 and performance = 1 ... plots in different 'box' )
refer to Your used Excel-file as in #8 Reply.
... and
... You should give those values with Excel-file!
vletm thank you very much for your help. Actually I solved the problem of the 4 and 3 so now I only have 3 and 3. The problem is though what I described in my previous note - the calculation seems to be wrong as some values go over 3 and thus are not plotted in the 9 box - do you know a fix for this issue? thanks again!

danagsf
It would be good sometimes read replies ...
I wrote twice - what You should do ... and so on.
... seem that I should give You a sample ... which would fix this thread ...

Attachments

25.9 KB · Views: 61
danagsf
It would be good sometimes read replies ...
I wrote twice - what You should do ... and so on.
... seem that I should give You a sample ... which would fix this thread ...
I do read messages - it is not what I was asking. The question is more complex and the attached did not solve the issue, but thanks anyway for your help. I will not take any more of the time of this forum. Regards

danagsf
Is Your 'more complex' question is still
How do I plot them on a 9-box?
as written in #1 reply?
or what?
or
If You have change You question
to get 'Performance' & 'Potiential' to get value with scale from 1 to 9
Screenshot 2019-08-20 at 17.49.48.png
... then above would show that!
Hint: Without Your replies ... this will be a double monologue.

Last edited:
Hi, sorry I think I replied to the wrong thread earlier. As I am asking, here is my sample data. How can I plot this automatically in the 9box using the xy scatter?

Attachments

• 9box grid.xlsx
    12.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Kennedy
Please, reread Forum Rules
eg there is:
How to get the Best Results at Chandoo.org
  • Start a new post every time you ask a question, even if the theme is similar. The original author may continue asking questions whilst the post is in progress and of course if you are answering questions you may need to ask questions of the initial poster.

Back