• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Making english language default

Tom22

Hi,

One general question to all the excel champs here...

I am working on one excel file which has lot of formulas in it and after completing it i need to circulate this file to different regions in europe.

So my formulas are in english, but when i give this report to one guy in trukey, this formulas doesn’t work.

So question is, is it possible if we can make english language default before circulating this file to avoid any kind of errors????

As far as I know Xl converts formulae to the local language.
In what way don't the formulae work?
Does he see =_xlfn at the beginning of the formulae?

No actually i have linked my formulas to date like if my one date match with other date then only formula will work... Now in English I have mentioned if Jan match with Jan but in other languages it is not Jan.... So it gives other person error..

Exactly Vletm....here is tha sample book for your reference...

Attachments

• Test.xlsx
    11.3 KB · Views: 5
Exactly Vletm....here is tha sample book for your reference...
In your post #.06 attached file example, the helper cell in B2 is not required and can be removed.

Then,

In H10, enter formula :

For UK date type setting
=SUM(D5:OFFSET(C5,,MONTH(1&A2)))

or,

For USA date type setting
=SUM(D5:OFFSET(C5,,MONTH(A2&1)))

Regards
Bosco

Then,

change to Match(), it doesn't related to Date function.

=SUM(D5:OFFSET(C5,,MATCH(A2,D4:O4,0)))

Regards
Bosco

As I dont think the Jan, Feb etc values should change, another option
=SUM(D5:INDEX(D5:O5,MATCH(A2,D4:O4,0)))

Tom22
If there is still challenges after any of those 'hint's,
then ask 'one guy in trukey' to take screenshot while there is a challenge.

Issue is.... There is no one guy.... There are multiple person sitting in different locations.... Like Spain, Brazil, Greece, China etc..... But let me figure out something from the hints given above

The attached workbook explores Excel formatting to switch between languages.
The validation lists are date-values with explicit language settings.
The table headings are also date-values but conditionally formatted, as is the user input cell.

The key is the use of the last day of the month irrespective of language so the searches on number are independent of language settings. It may be that a correctly set up workbook would respond to the Windows localisation and this user interaction is unnecessary. I have no way of testing that however.

Attachments

• LanguageChanges(PB).xlsx
    11.6 KB · Views: 6
Peter Bartholomew
One ... thing as Tom22 has written:
There are multiple person sitting in different locations.... Like Spain, Brazil, Greece, China etc..
From my side ... if I would be from Spain - I would like to see my language
as well as if I would be from China or any other country -- with my language.

@vletm
Yes, setting up a conditional format and validation lists for each of many languages would be tedious. It is easy to use
= TEXT( dateValue, countryCode&"mmm" )
but then text must be the same language if it is to match. Numbers are more forgiving.

I think your workbook will change according to the Windows localisation but I am not about to change that on my computer.

Last edited:
Tom22
If You could change Your sheet and
try to use something like this?
... then would there be still challenges with formulas?

Attachments

• Test.xlsx
    12.8 KB · Views: 4
Based on the explanation of colleague Peter Bartholomew, I set up this spreadsheet with months in several languages, I believe they are all Excel.

Decio

Attachments

• TEXT Function with Languages.xlsx
    24 KB · Views: 5
deciog
Yes ... there are missing those [ ? ]
I would like to see only own used version of those months automatic.
I won't change my Excel to version which You use.

vletm

What is your language, type in Jan Feb Mar Apr month so what good to see if I find your language

Decio

Back