• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Remove password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke M

Excel Ninja
Staff member
A common request across the Excel forums is looking for some way to remove a password from the worksheet/workbook/VBA project.

Take note, putting a password on any of these items does not make it secure, it only slows someone down from messing things up. With that mindset, here's the file I use for cracking passwords. We've talked about these various methods before. The point of this thread is just to put it into the Vault for future reference, and to put all the methods in a single locations. Attached file will let you remove all worksheet, workbook, and VBA passwords. At last test (Jan 2015), works on Excel 2003, 2007, 2010. For 2013, works on 32-bit only.

I'm not taking credit for developing these codes, just wanted to have them in 1 handy location for others to find.

PS. Password required to open a file is not covered by this tool.

Attachments

• VBA_Password_Cracker.xlsm
    26.5 KB · Views: 3,953
Last edited:
@Abhijeet Thank you brother. Let me try this :)

I got another macro file which was build for 32bit, However I got 64bit version now.

any help on how to change or what to change on it.

Hi, how do I use this? Does it come with instructions? I attempted to run the modules in Alt+F11. I got the notification it says that it "VBA Project is unprotected!" but failed to unlock the password :(

Hi, how do I use this? Does it come with instructions? I attempted to run the modules in Alt+F11. I got the notification it says that it "VBA Project is unprotected!" but failed to unlock the password :(

Don't run the macro from the VBE, but from the workbook. As instructions state on the worksheet in file, you need to open the file you want to unprotect, then run the macro. To run a macro, you can press Alt+F8 to bring up Macro menu, then choose the one you want to run.

Hi, ferocious12!
You always have the option of commercial software. It's not strange to forget a password for Excel files, but it's a bit strange to forget both Excel and Word and maybe Powerpoint and co. files. Unless you're not their authorised owner. Despite of the legality of that actions (intention to break into protected software) which should be of legal and moral concern, there's software specifically developed for these, for example:
https://www.elcomsoft.com/aopb.html
Regards!

In addition to using VBA, manually deleting the encrypted password may be helpful in removing the Excel password.
Open Excel > click on File > Information and Permissions Options > click the "Encrypt with password" option and clear the password box > "OK" to delete the password > "Save".

This is really awesome! I have been looking for solution like this on a .xla file for a while. Finally got it here.
I am running excel 2007 on Windows 7 pro 64 bit. 32 bit version works well.
Thanks again!

A common request across the Excel forums is looking for some way to remove a password from the worksheet/workbook/VBA project.

Take note, putting a password on any of these items does not make it secure, it only slows someone down from messing things up. With that mindset, here's the file I use for cracking passwords. We've talked about these various methods before. The point of this thread is just to put it into the Vault for future reference, and to put all the methods in a single locations. Attached file will let you remove all worksheet, workbook, and VBA passwords. At last test (Jan 2015), works on Excel 2003, 2007, 2010. For 2013, works on 32-bit only.

I'm not taking credit for developing these codes, just wanted to have them in 1 handy location for others to find.

PS. Password required to open a file is not covered by this tool.
This is a brilliant piece of code @Luke M.
Thankyou. It solved a problem that has plagued me and my company for some time because we can't find the contractor who did the work for us and we need to make some changes.

I found this forum because if this problem and as your newest member, I'm very keen to contribute and learn. Thanks for setting this up.

Don't run the macro from the VBE, but from the workbook. As instructions state on the worksheet in file, you need to open the file you want to unprotect, then run the macro. To run a macro, you can press Alt+F8 to bring up Macro menu, then choose the one you want to run.
does this unlock the Protected Addin file also???

IMHO it's totally irresponsible of any forum to promote the bypassing of any security measure. No-one here knows who owns the file(s) concerned; for all anyone on forums such as these knows, the intent is to steal someone else's intellectual property. Most forums prohibit any discussion of how to bypass security measures of any kind - and quite a few will kick you off if you ignore that.

IMHO it's totally irresponsible of any forum to promote the bypassing of any security measure. No-one here knows who owns the file(s) concerned; for all anyone on forums such as these knows, the intent is to steal someone else's intellectual property. Most forums prohibit any discussion of how to bypass security measures of any kind - and quite a few will kick you off if you ignore that.
I understand your concern, but my disagreement with it is that Excel doesn't really offer "security", it offers "protection" in these cases. The distinction is that the former refers to keeping files secure, and away from the wrong people. The protection that most people use in XL (sheets, workbooks, code) and that this tool assists with is for keeping people from making changes to items that they already have. I try to raise people's awareness issue on this so that they don't improperly store sensitive data.

That's just a cop-out. Many users password-protect Excel and other files in the belief that if they give those files to someone else, the files will be secure - which is what they are for most people. Sure, the security is easily circumvented, but that hardly detracts from the fact that what you're doing helps people steal others' property. You should be ashamed of that instead of trumpeting it!

I totally agree. I was shocked in my early days as a member here when I reported a post asking for help to circumvent password protection to be told that it was perfectly OK to ask for such help here. I don't know any other forum (and I moderate on three) where it is acceptable. If people are really intent on cracking a password, they can find out how to do it easily enough without any forum aiding and abetting that particular practice. This is just my opinion: I don't expect the forum to change its rules, but I don't think it hurts for the powers that be to know that some members are uncomfortable with this particular one.

Like you, I moderate multiple boards/forums (five, actually). At none of them is any discussion of methods to bypass any security measure condoned. Other forums I participate in also have similar policies. See, for example:

For these crack VBA codes, I know for years. I was shocked when I saw that Microsoft sold software that contained BUG !? (For me this is a security risk in Excel)
Why did Microsoft not take any action to protect the intellectual property of people using Excel?
Many companies upgrade their software to a newer version to protect their users and correct specific bugs. Why did not Microsoft do this?

As at the beginning it's was just a spreadsheet software, not foresee its success as a "database" software !​
The issue comes from people using Excel for stuffs that it was not designed for …​
You need a coffee : use Excel to open the CD tray ! (Thug life !)​
For sensitive data : just forget Excel, use a true database software ! As for data safety as well …​
So when people cry that they lose data under Excel or have too many crashes so often my answer is like​
« I told you two years ago to not use Excel like that and to not forget to create backups in a safe place ! »​
Now about the thought of macropod & my dear AliGW, I have found the same VBA code tip in others blogs or forums.​
So yes, it just depends on each forum rules …​
Since Excel 2013 version - or 2010 if up to date - the only strong password protection is at workbook opening level.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back