• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Sort with multiple Criteria

Kenshin

Hi ninjaz glad seeing you again and again i have a headache to get right results from my problem, please take a look at my file guys, thank you

Attachments

• Need Help.xlsx
    10.1 KB · Views: 11
May need some explanation!?

flag: = ( INDEX( data, MATCH( selected, name, 0 ), ) = "X") * number
pointer: = 1 + FLOOR(MATCH(order,flag,0) - 1, 4)
result: = INDEX( team, pointer)

Attachments

• Team placing (PB).xlsx
    11.4 KB · Views: 14
B14: =INDEX($B$3:$Q$3,,1+4*(INT(((MATCH(5-ROWS($A$14:A14)&"x",$B$4:$Q$4&OFFSET($B$4:$Q$4,MATCH($A$14,$A$5:$A$10,0),0),0))-0.1)/4)+0)) Ctrl+Shift+Enter
Copy down

C14: =INDEX($B$4:$Q$4,,MATCH(5-ROWS($A$14:A14)&"x",$B$4:$Q$4&OFFSET($B$4:$Q$4,MATCH($A$14,$A$5:$A$10,0),0),0))
Ctrl+Shift+Enter
Copy down

Bizarre as it works fine for me:
upload_2018-12-19_17-9-42.png

Two things to note

1. Did you press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to enter the formula in the B14 and C14 cells?

2. Are you aware that only David has a full set of x's in the 1, 2 ,3 & 4 cells
Note Jasmine doesn't have an X in the 4 cells and has two 1's

3. Mostly likely issue is that this isn't your actual data layout and you pasted it into a different cell? These formula are quite specific to there original location and the location of the Data, Peter's Formula should be more forgiving.

@Hui No, I do not think my formula is any more forgiving. It simply scans across until it finds an "x" in the required place and returns the group (team?) name.

@Kenshin
I had assumed (despite the fact that the actual data was non-conformant) that
1. Each number [1-4] would be present within each row
2. There would only be one instance of each number across a row
3. There would only be one number selected within a group

I could produce error messages to identify a missing number or the presence of duplicates but I can see no reliable way of 'correcting' the user input.

Or....................

1] In B14, copied down :

=IFERROR(INDEX(LOOKUP(COLUMN(B$4:Q$4),COLUMN(B$4:Q$4)/(B$3:Q$3<>""),B$3:Q$3),AGGREGATE(15,6,COLUMN(B$4:Q$4)-COLUMN(A$4)/((B$4:Q$4/(INDEX(B$5:Q$10,MATCH(A$14,A$5:A$10,0),0)="x"))=C14),COUNTIF(C$14:C14,C14))),"")

2] In C14, copied down :

=IFERROR(AGGREGATE(14,6,B$4:Q$4/(INDEX(B$5:Q$10,MATCH(A$14,A$5:A$10,0),0)="x"),ROWS($1:1)),"")

Regards
Bosco

Attachments

• Sort with multiple Criteria(1).xlsx
    12.2 KB · Views: 13
Hi Bosco

Nice functionality! I just took the order {4;3;2;1} as fixed input but made it difficult to place the "x"s without creating 'duplicate' or 'missing' errors. Your idea of ranking the values returned by the "x"s makes using the sheet a far better experience. So much so that I set out to adapt my solution to match!

To avoid issues with duplicate values, I included the group index as a tie-breaker so the ranking

'order':
= IFERROR( LARGE( flag, {1;2;3;4} ), "" )

was based on 'flag' which I modified to read:
= IF( INDEX( data, MATCH( selected, name, 0 ), ) = "X", number+group/100 )

I hadn't really planned ahead so it was something of a surprise when the group/animal/team lookup

'pointer':
= 1 + FLOOR(MATCH(order,flag,0) - 1, 4)

went through without further change!

Attachments

• Team placing (PB).xlsx
    12.4 KB · Views: 7
Back