• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Adding In-Cell comments to a chart

Hi guys. Is there a simple way to add "in-cell comments" as data labels in a chart. I have seen some ideas where the comment is extracted from its cell and placed in an adjacent cell / column thereby creating a column of data points that can be plotted.....but is there a simple way to configure any chart (I am using a column chart as an example) such that the cell comments appear as data labels. If the cell does not contain any in-cell comments I would like the data label to be invisible.....sometimes the labels appear as grey outlines with no contents.

Attachments

• Attaching Cell comments to a chart label.xlsx
    15.3 KB · Views: 2
Hi Hui. Thanks for the reply. Yes, I had seen this thread in the website and I like the idea of the User Defined Function. But what happens to the User Defined Function if the spreadsheet is sent to another user - i.e. does the UDF exist in the spreadsheet or does it exist in the user's copy of Excel.

The UDF is part of the file and travels with it

When someone else opens the file, they will be Prompted to Accept Macro's
If they don't the UDF won't work

You will have to save the file as either a Excel Binary *.xlsb or Excel Macro *.xlsm file type

Many thanks Hui - this is very useful information. Without creating a new thread that might be irrelevant, is there a tutorial on User Defined Functions? It sounds like a concept that could be quite beneficial (and I will be honest here, I have not searched the chandoo site for this ......;)).

Back