• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

CreateObject

Nightlytic

Hi All,

I have some need for an explanation of how VBA I use daily works. This is a very old system from SAP, a VBA plugin.

within the code, it creates an object:
Set pAddin = CreateObject("com.sap.bi.et.analyzer.addin.BExConnect")

I gotta say I'm very confused by that line above, especially the com.sap.bi.et.analyzer.addin.BExConnect, what is this? is this a file? website?
Can I open this???? how?

Then, depending on what menu button is clicked, some subs would say something like:
Dim lCMD As String
lCMD = pAddin.ExcelInterface.cCMDToggleDesignMode
Call pAddin.ExcelInterface.ProcessBExMenuCommand(lCMD)

AKA, on the last line it looks like there is a vba project called pAddin but there isn't one on the VBA project explorer.... Presuming Excelinterface and processbexmenucommand are macros and a sub respectively. Am I correct on that?

Ultimately, I want to see the code going on behind that pAddin, what happens to the CMD once I pass it. What could this paddin be and how I can open it. Ideally I'd ask SAP but this stuff is like 30 years old, and I suppose they don't want people to see the code... but I only need to know where my workbooks base their data out of and that's hidden...

Thanks!

You'll need to look inside the Add-in. Which I assume is .COM add-in written and compiled in some other language (C++ or something else).

pAddin has member/function that is called by using that code. It isn't likely that you can look under the hood without de-compiling the library.

Wow thanks Chihiro. Yeah, my company's BEx is ancient.

Yeah I probably don't have the skillset... Is there any way to know where this library is? I don't have any .COM addins active in excel, it's just the BEx XLA file. now that is installed with an EXE so there could be relevant files anywhere on the machine. Point is the code I copied above is calling this .COM addin... any idea where I can expect it to be?

Really grateful for the help!

Exact location can vary from system to system and on version of BEx Analyzer.

If using BEx 7... look for BExAddin.tlb and BExApi.tlb. Likely located in C:\Program Files\SAP\Business Explorer\BI\

Then, depending on what menu button is clicked, some subs would say something like:
Dim lCMD As String
lCMD = pAddin.ExcelInterface.cCMDToggleDesignMode
Call pAddin.ExcelInterface.ProcessBExMenuCommand(lCMD)

AKA, on the last line it looks like there is a vba project called pAddin but there isn't one on the VBA project explorer.... Presuming Excelinterface and processbexmenucommand are macros and a sub respectively. Am I correct on that?
Hi ,

I am not sure that what you think you would like to know is really essential.

First , if at all an addin is being used , it is to either process some data in Excel and display the results in Excel. Or it is to process data within the SAP system , and just pass on the results to the Excel front-end.

Either way , I doubt that you will be better off knowing all this. Especially as the data within the SAP system itself is probably beyond bounds , though this depends on your organization.

If you have an IT cell , which is very likely with a SAP system , then they would probably be able to tell you what you want to know ; even systems that are 30 years old , do need maintenance , and it is very likely that your IT cell will have at least one old-timer who will know everything about this.

Narayan

Ahem, 30 years is bit of an exaggeration I'd think ;)

BW didin't start development until 1998, and had last release in 2014 (with one last addition of 7.5 that supports in memory processing etc but likely to hit EOL around 2025). But for the most part, SAP has moved onto HANA and no new developments are being done on BW.

Back