• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Problem with Name Manager

Eloise T

I have two sanitized Excel files attached. One called "Incoming data file" and the other "Outgoing data file."
Both have 7 identical Name Manager names. You may see them by selecting Ctrl+F3.
If I copy and paste a row or rows of data (Columns A thru H) from either Excel file to the other Excel file, 7 windows appear individually as follows:

Clicking [Yes] 7 times works (to satisfy all 7 Name Manager names), but clicking [Yes to All] never works as Yes to All however it functions
exactly the same as clicking [Yes] 7 times.
I do this (copying from one Excel file to the other Excel file) multiple time a day and it sure would be nice for [Yes to All] to work.
Is there an Option that needs to be triggered/switched in the bowels of the the FILE > OPTIONS selection that I'm missing or is this simply an
undocumented Excel bug? Thanks for your assistance in advance.

Attachments

• Incoming data file.xlsx
    13.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Outgoing data file.xlsx
    13.6 KB · Views: 4
What is the point of copy pasting if the excel files are identical?
Can't you use a template, with the name manager constants, and import data?
Simply copy pasting VALUES works.

The strage thing with the Name Conflict dialog box is that you have an explanation for "YES" and "NO" but not for "YES TO ALL", and it seems not documented on the MS support side.

What is the point of copy pasting if the excel files are identical?
Can't you use a template, with the name manager constants, and import data?

The strage thing with the Name Conflict dialog box is that you have an explanation for "YES" and "NO" but not for "YES TO ALL", and it seems not documented on the MS support side.
I should have put "Please do not try to understand why I'm doing this," as I had to "heavily sanitize" the files to be allowed to publicly post them. I simply need to know why [Yes to All] doesn't work, or actually how to "fix" it.

Just wondering....How would you propose using "a template, with the name manager constants, and import data" based on what you know of this problem?

Not a bug. It's just due to how named ranges are used. It's used within 8 separate CF formula, and it's triggered for each CF defined.

Just paste as value only. Then use format painter to copy format from line above.

I should have put "Please do not try to understand why I'm doing this," as I had to "heavily sanitize" the files to be allowed to publicly post them. I simply need to know why [Yes to All] doesn't work, or actually how to "fix" it.

Just wondering....How would you propose using "a template, with the name manager constants, and import data" based on what you know of this problem?
My proposal was made based on the uploaded examples- got confused by the term sanitized - and not particular on the problem. In my defence I did offer a workable solution

Not a bug. It's just due to how named ranges are used. It's used within 8 separate CF formula, and it's triggered for each CF defined.

Just paste as value only. Then use format painter to copy format from line above.
I read your words "Just paste as value only. Then use format painter to copy format from line above." but they did not sink in. Please be more specific with your reply. Maybe give an example. Thanks!

So, you copy from source.

In destination, paste special -> Values.

Then in the destination, go to rows above pasted range, copy formatting using format painter.

Paste it on top values. This will replicate all CF along with other formats using destination's named ranges, rather than source's named ranges. Hence, no warning will show up.

My proposal was made based on the uploaded examples- got confused by the term sanitized - and not particular on the problem. In my defence I did offer a workable solution .
Sanitized = removed proprietary and work sensitive information so data could be shared publicly.

Back