Transpose a table quickly using Copy – Paste [Quick tips]
On Friday, we learned how to transpose a table of data using Excel formulas.
In comments of that post, Joey gave us an interesting tip.
Might I recommend an alternative that involves no array formulas, is easier to debug and less computationally intensive.
1) Highlight area to be transposed and copy
2) Paste special -> Paste Link, somewhere else on the sheet
3) Highlight new area and Find/Replace “=” with “xxx”
4) Copy new area, paste special –> transpose
5) Find/Replace “xxx” with “=”
Now you have a direct link to the cell with no fancy formula required (link)
This is quick, easy to use & lovely way to transpose data.
So let me explain this in detail.
6 Steps to transpose a table of data
by using Copy, Paste, Find & Replace
- Copy your original data & paste links to it in a blank place (CTRL+ALT+V and L)
- Select this new data & Press CTRL+H
- Replace all = with x=
- Copy again & paste special > transpose in another blank area
- Press CTRL + H again and Replace all x= with =
- You are Done!
See below tutorial to understand how this works:
Special thanks to Joey for suggesting this method. It is a testament to our readers’ awesomeness.
If you enjoyed this tip, say thanks to Joey.
More tricks using Paste Special, Find Replace etc.
For a few more tricks & clever uses of paste special, find replace, go to special, check out these links:
- Quickly fill blank cells in a table using Paste Special
- Extract portions of text using Find Replace
- Use Paste Special to format charts quickly
- Quickly change formulas using Find Replace
- Compare row differences using Go to Special
- Delete Blank rows using goto special
- More tips on using Paste Special, Go to Special & Find Replace
Sign-up for our FREE Excel tips newsletter:
Here is a smart way to become awesome in Excel. Just signup for my FREE Excel tips newsletter. Every week you will receive an Excel tip, tutorial, template or example delivered to your inbox. What more, as a joining bonus, I am giving away a 25 page eBook containing 95 Excel tips & tricks. Please sign-up below:
Your email address is safe with us. Our policies
Leave a Reply
|Transpose a table of data using Excel Formulas||Power Pivot & Advanced Excel course is open, Join us today!|