Oops, I did not do it [Site down time update]
So that was stressful. As many of you know, our main site http://chandoo.org/wp/ was down for good part of last 2 days due to a mysterious PHP error. After trying to fix it for 2 days and drawing a blank every time, I gave up and used my trump card – delete wordpress and manually re-install it. That seemed to do the trick. I can load the site alright, write this post and share the news with you.
I will post something awesome & useful on Excel tomorrow. Wish you a beautiful day ahead.
If you want to what happened & how it is fixed:
- 28 may: On May 28th evening, Hui sent me an email saying site is down.
- Since I was roaming in Melbourne I could not check the email until I got back to hotel.
- I started frantically searching for the “fatal error…” and possible fixes.
- Everyone seems to suggest a different solution.
- So I called up Pothi, my website admin. Unfortunately, Pothi is in a remote place with no internet access.
- So he gave me a few instructions, but nothing useful.
- Meanwhile, the error message kept changing. So I thought may be the core wordpress files are corrupt.
- Then, went to vaultpress my automated website backup system to restore the site to an older version.
- For some reason that did not work. (although I have hourly backups since middle of last year)
- Then I replaced some of the files in wordpress core folders
- Suddenly the site started loading again, despite some errors.
- So I go to sleep as I had a training program next day (29 may)
- 29 may: The site is still working (although with some error messages at top) when I woke up. So I rush to my training program.
- But the site stopped loading midway thru the day and I had to time to look at it.
- Later in the evening, Once I reach home, I call another friend in India who is good with this stuff and ask his help.
- No use.
- I replace few more files hoping that would fix it again. No use.
- Now I am really sleepy and I have no clue how to solve it. So I shoot some SOS emails to Pothi hoping he can work on it.
- 30 may: When I wake up I get a brilliant idea. “why not delete everything and re-install?” Since I have up to date backups of database and all the files I got nothing to loose.
- So I quickly pack my bags, check out from my hotel in Melbourne & reach airport by 11 AM.
- My flight to Brisbane is at 2PM and I have 2 hours to fix.
- I delete both wp-includes & wp-admin folders.
- Update them with latest version from wordpress.org
- Replace the files in wordpress main folder & theme & plugin folders.
- Then run the upgrade script.
- And that worked. My site is up. Although some errors are showing.
- So I go and upgrade all the plugins. And that fixed the errors.
- And I still have 40 mins for the flight. So I thought let me write a 29 point list explaining what happened.
- So there you go 😀
Thanks for all the lovely emails & concern you have showered while the site is down. I am glad it did not take more time to fix. Wait for something juicy, fun & awesome on Excel tomorrow 🙂
Leave a Reply
|Do you work on Excel? How much salary you make? [Surveys]||Sort Pivot Tables the way you want [Quick tip]|