• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

vlookup or pivot table?

stanvee1

Good day
Background- We run software scans for unpatched computer systems.
We get a summary sheet of all unpatched systems, to include VIPs.

We want to identify what vulnerability or vulnerabilities the VIP systems have. The list of unpatched systems goes beyond the VIP systems.

I want to determine what VIP systems are identified as being unpatched across all vulnerability columns. I have tried a Pivot Table but, I am not getting an area of useful data to identify what I am looking for. Maybe I am not plugging the correct value?
I have read a little about vlookup, index, match, conditional formatting but I haven't seen anything that will do the trick.

Sheet information (Excel 2003)- a sample has been provided to show the VIP computers and vulnerability columns (sheet 1) The pivot table is there, too (sheet 4).

Thanks in advance for those who have more Jedi skills than this padawan.

stanvee1

Attachments

• VIP systems.xlsx
    14.6 KB · Views: 0
I assume that the list of a PC under a vulnerability means that that machine suffers from that vulnerability?

If that is the case I extracted a unique list of all PC's

Then simply did a count of each PC that had a Vulnerability

upload_2015-3-30_10-53-55.png

Thanks for the response.
You are correct about the systems being in the vulnerability column. My focus though is the VIP systems only and if they are in any of the vulnerability columns. The goal is to identify the missing patch(es) and ensure that all missing patches can be applied. My limited vlookup and match attempts did not work and my pivot table did not get me what I need. Conditional formatting would take too long in doing a column by column comparison.
Thanks for the help.

More information...
I tried some conditional formatting on the first two VIP systems, to maybe paint a better picture (Sheet 1). Sheet 4 is the Pivot
The VIP systems are seen in the Vuln 1-5 columns. Now, I know what the problems are with those two systems. I now have a focus on what software patches are needed- instead of touching or remoting into them multiple times.

There are other systems on the list but, I am concerned about the VIP systems.
Think of them like your boss's computer, a point of sale system, etc.

Any way to compare the Vuln 1-5 columns against the VIP column? Or is there another method that would reveal where the VIPs are located within the Vuln 1-5 columns?

Thank you.

Attachments

• VIP systems.xlsx
    14.6 KB · Views: 0
Back