• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Using a Cell containing a date in a WhatIFs formula

Derek Williams

I frequently need to be able to find information that occurred between two different dates and want to put the two dates in two cells and the "Whatifs" refer to those two date cells.
If I put the dates manually in the formulas it works but if I put the cell address' (holding the dates) in the formula it doesn't work. Any idea would be most welcome.
Thank you in advance.
Derek

Have you thought of turning your data into a table, that way you can filter between any dates you want with out formulas.

Thanks Bob, I do appreciate your quick response.
The data is a large accounts system with a dozen or so tabs so I'm not sure if turning it all into a table would work in this case. Thank you, Derek

Hi Derek,

Make sure the cell you are referring for date, should have actual date values, not text value.
Can you post a sample of your file with small / dummy data?

Regards,

Thanks so much Khalid
I have simplified the workbook deleting almost all the tabs and left a simple example of the the formula which works with the date typed into the formula, and another cell showing the same formula but with a cell holding the date instead of the date -which doesn't work.
Hope you can help
Derek

Attachments

• Cell Date Problem 1.xlsx
    36.1 KB · Views: 2
Hi Derek ,

When you use cell references in a criterion , the syntax is different from when you use values ; this is independent of whether the value is a date or any other kind of value.

See the file for how it should be used.

Narayan

Attachments

• Cell Date Problem 1.xlsx
    37.1 KB · Views: 2
Thank you Narayan
Your solution has put an end to many hours of searching and fumbling for the answer. Thank you so much!
Also thank you to the others who took time and trouble to help along the way!
My thanks and warmest regards
Derek

Back