• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Trending Stock attributes

Stonewall

I am looking to see if some kind of dashboard might work for what I am trying to do. I get daily reads for certain stock attributes and am adding them to a table, sorting the table by Stock then by date (newest to oldest). Then I want to analyze the change in each attribute to evaluate if it changed at all, and if so, went up or down from the prior day’s data. The process is not too difficult for just a few stocks but becomes overwhelming when evaluating a couple hundred or so. Also, if I have even just 20 stocks and pull 20 calendar days’ worth of data, I start to get a lot of information to evaluate. But I do like to keep several days of data for the stock to be able to evaluate a trend should a change in one or more of the attributes occur.

Manually what I have attempted is, after gathering the data, sorting it by Stock and Date the apply some conditional formatting for the days of data to easily see the direction. Essentially, I try to apply conditional formatting to say, 5 days of data in each attribute column for each change in the Stock symbol. I realize as I am writing this that I am working in 2 directions.

One, I am trying to analyze for each stock, which attributes changed, if any, from the prior day, and which direction did it move.

Two, if a change did occur, show me the last attribute numbers for x number of rows and conditionally format to show the trend for those x number of rows.

The one thing I could think of but was having trouble implementing was trying to use the Outline of Group feature so that the top row, the most current row, would be the only row that showed and the Color on the attribute would show whether it went up or down. All the Stocks would be the Level 1 and then I could drill down. I’ve been looking that the many and great dashboards and am amazed at some of the solutions and functionality and thought this might be a better way.

Any thoughts, comments, pointing to specific dashboard examples appreciated. I attach a sample file of dummy data.

Attachments

• Stock_attrib.xls
    26.5 KB · Views: 12
Stonewall

Firstly, welcome to the Chandoo.org Forums

I would add a measurement of say Last value - First value and express that as a Percentage of the First value or Work out the average Rise per day

Then rank the Stocks from Largest to Smallest
That way you can focus on the Top or Bottom X stocks

Stonewall

Firstly, welcome to the Chandoo.org Forums

I would add a measurement of say Last value - First value and express that as a Percentage of the First value or Work out the average Rise per day

Then rank the Stocks from Largest to Smallest
That way you can focus on the Top or Bottom X stocks
Thanks for the input. I am working on implementing this just putting some calculation cells to the right and using the result to conditionally format the home cells and then use for ranking as you suggested.

Back