• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

To Link and auto update first columns of two different excel tables

Muralidhar

How to Link and auto update first columns of two different excel tables.

Explanation:
There are two excel tables in different tabs.
How to link First column of Table1, to First column of Table2,
So that if the row number in the first column of table1 is added / modified, then
Row number in the first column of Table2 updates automatically (adding row / deleting row)

Hi Muralidhar ,

A table is not supposed to have blank rows ; if you want that the columns of one table should be updated with the addition of new rows as and when a source table is modified , then it cannot be done using formulae ; it can only be done using VBA.

Is this acceptable ?

If it is , please upload your workbook with the two tables in question.

Narayan

Hi narayan,
Please find attached sample data sheet,
The Columns A and B of Table1 (Sheet1) should auto reflect in
Columns A and B of Table2(sheet2)

(Note: Column A= Slno and column2 = Engineer)

Kindly provide me the solution,
The actual data is a project tracker.

Many thanks. for the help

Attachments

• Example Data_To Link and auto update first columns of two different excel tables.xlsx
    12.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hi Muralidhar ,

See if this is OK. You are supposed to use the TAB key in the last column of the table to insert a new row to the table , as and when the current row data entry is over. Pressing the TAB key will insert a new row in the data entry table , and at the same time update the table in the Auto-Update tab with the data from the first two columns of the last row.

Narayan

Attachments

• Example Data_To Link and auto update first columns of two different excel tables.xlsm
    22.1 KB · Views: 4
Hi Narayan,

After adding a row by tab key in the "raw data sheet",
then I tried to Run the macro, but the "Auto update" sheet is not getting updated (with the new row and entry in the former sheet)

Please advise

Hi Muralidhar ,

You do not have to run the macro ; the macro runs all the time ; all you are supposed to do is enter data , and use the TAB key to insert a new row when you have completed entering data in the cell in column C.

Narayan

Hi Narayan,
Please find data sheet attached.
(1) In the Raw " Raw data entry" sheet ColumnA, row9 data is deleted, but not reflecting in the "Auto-update" sheet.
(2) Please could you share a tutorial link which would help in understanding this program

Many Thanks

Attachments

• Example_Data_To_Link_and_auto_update_first_columns_of_two_different_excel_tables.xlsm
    22.5 KB · Views: 2
Hi Muralidhar ,

First , can you confirm that the macro works as you want it to work when you add data ?

I have not written it to work when you delete rows ; only if you confirm that it works correctly when data is added , will I rework it to include row deletion.

Please specify whether you will also modify rows ; if this is also included then it becomes more complicated , since now the code has to see what the previous contents of cells were , what the new contents are , and then match the contents of the cells with the existing data on the Auto-Update tab , and overwrite the data with the modified data.

If this is also included , I will take at least a day or two to upload the revised code.

Narayan

Hi Narayan,
many thanks for your reply, I could not upload a ppt on the related issues in VBA macro.
Please could you share your email ID so that I can send you brief ppt.
Best Regards

Back