• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Problem with referencing data from other sheet

Tobby

how to refer data from other sheet .... is there any book on multiple sheet references

Attachments

• EgExcel.xls
    32.5 KB · Views: 2
Sir, right now its ok but not with added prefix (CID/COD..) have u applied table... how about if i need to extract any other data within same workbook.. should i use the same concept (for numbers / alphabets / both)
thanx for you time

Hi,

Your file says you want to compare the number part with column C on Sheet2?

After comparing what you want in return?

Regards,

Hi ,

Can you specify what will be the input ? Will it be only the number portion , or will it be both the alpha and the numeric portions , or can it be both i.e. sometimes you will enter the number portion alone , and sometimes you will enter both the alpha and the numeric portion ?

Narayan

To:Somendra Misra
Sir it works (but it has multiple Prefix CID/COD/CUD....) only with CID
i entered 20th row data it failed to identify....

Hi ,

Using the Table feature makes formulae that much simpler ; since the table is dynamic , there is no need to use dynamic named ranges , since a reference such as Table1[ID] will automatically expand to include added rows.

I strongly recommend that since the feature is available , you should start making use of it.

Narayan

To: NARAYANK
ok sir i will try, as you told and keep in mind, for small / big content like this can we apply table...

Attachments

• EgExcel.xlsx
    15.8 KB · Views: 1
To:Somendra Misra, Sir it worked fine for given i/p ....(jokingly) are u using any book or u connected to super computers such big formula....!!
Q: what is this "*" "$" (in excel) and how it works (just curiosity to know) other wise no problem sir...

Neither I use any book, nor my computer is Super Computer :), The size of formula become bigger because I thought You want in the format that you mention in your file, like Col:C & Row 4.

Getting address is not big, extracting A,B,C i.e. column name and row number make the formula bigger.

May be somebody can cut short it. Personally I like huge formulas (if they don't hamper my over all speed as there will be lot of functions involved in them)

Than "*" is a wildcard character for any number of character, where as "?" is a wild card character for single character.

Than the return of ADDRESS function I am selecting as absolute, so it will return like $A$1 so $ is that.

Regards,

To:Somendra Misra, Sir fine thankyou for valuable time... but still is there any book on excel for data referencing.... bcoz such small yet important things we dont know...

Well I don't know if there is any particular book related to data referencing alone. Many a times it's usage of Excel formulas only. Try referring to Excel help and go through the problems here posted on the forum. You can also visit chandoo main site to understand various formulas with a wide range of examples.

Regards,

Back