• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

MACRO for =IF(ISERROR(INDEX(SMALL(ROW -> Return unique matches vertically

mdc23

Hi all,

I am trying to turn a formula into a macro. I have the active workbook which I am pulling data into, and the lookup workbook which I am pulling the data from.

The formula looks up the name in column A of the active workbook and finds it in column B in the lookup workbook. Once it finds the name in the lookup workbook, it returns all corresponding sports from column A of lookup workbook into column BL of the active workbook.

Note: There are 10 rows for every name in the active workbook. The formula only returns the unique values that match the name and leaves the remainder of the 10 cells blank. See screenshots attached. Thanks in advance!

Current Formula:
=IF(ISERROR(INDEX([LookupFile!$A:$B,SMALL(IF([LookupFile!$B:$B=$A6,ROW([LookupFile!$B:$B)-ROW($A$1)+1),COUNTIF(A$6:A6,A6)),1)),"",INDEX([LookupFile!$A:$B,SMALL(IF([LookupFile!$B:$B=$A6,ROW([LookupFile!$B:$B)-ROW($A$1)+1),COUNTIF(A$6:A6,A6)),1))

Attachments

• active workbook.JPG
    active workbook.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 5
  • Lookup workbook.JPG
    Lookup workbook.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 6
Hi Narayan, Thanks for replying.

Uploaded one workbook for reference. You can see how the formula in column BL of destination tab is pulling data from column A of lookupfile, Leaving rows blank if there are no more corresponding values for that name. The only difference is mine will ultimately pull between two different workbooks instead of sheets. Columns will remain same but WB1 vs Wb2 instead of lookupfile sheet vs destination sheet. Hid some columns between column A and BL in destination tab for ease of view. Thanks!

Attachments

• sport macro.xlsx
    13.2 KB · Views: 7
Hi:

You don't need an array formulae for this you can use the following non- array formulae as well

=IFERROR(INDEX(LookupFile!$A$2:$A$19,AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW(LookupFile!$A$2:$A$19)-MIN(ROW(LookupFile!$A$2:$A$19))+1)/(A6=LookupFile!$B$2:$B$19),COUNTIF($A$6:A6,A6))),"")

Thanks

Attachments

• sport macro.xlsx
    14 KB · Views: 5
Hi ,

See the attached file.

I have made some changes to the data , so that the code caters to the most general case ; you can have the names in any random order , the games can repeat for a person , and across persons.

The code is commented so that in case any changes need to be made , you can do it.

There may be problems if your data set runs into thousands of rows.

Narayan

Attachments

• sport macro.xlsm
    23.7 KB · Views: 8
Back