• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Looking to regularly sub-contract (hire) Excel/Google Sheets experts

thatexcelguy

Hi,

I understand that there is a zero-tolerance policy towards spam, but it appears this is the right spot to post this so I hope it's okay.

I get a fair bit of online work from clients who need spreadsheet work done (typically 85% Google Sheets, and 15% Excel), and I find I often have to turn clients away due to being too busy, not wanting to take the particular job on (some jobs are more interesting and fun to do than others), or else it being too large and/or difficult of a task to take on myself.

Therefore, the jobs wouldn't be simple 1-line formulas, but usually larger projects, and often requiring Excel VBA or Google AppScript.

In a sense, I'd be basicaly subcontracting the job to you and acting as the middleman. You would get paid for your work, and I would get a cut for bringing in the client and overseeing all the communication (which is like 70% of this job). You would be able to decide if you wanted to take the job on or not, so it's really a sub-contracting type gig I have in mind; not a part time employee I expect to take every job I send them or anything.

My business has an absolutely stellar (literally flawless) reputation online doing this business, and that's because I only accept jobs I know I can 100% deliver on and make the client happy. In most cases, I actually do the work on spec (at least a good majority of it), and send the client a short video of it to make sure we're on the same wavelength. Because of this business model, I would have to work the same way when sub-contracting work out. My #1 concern is that the client is happy, so it is 100% imperative that they get _exactly_ what they want. As such, you wouldn't get paid until the client sees the final video I give them and they give me their thumbs up. If there are bugs or missing features, you would need to fix them until the client is happy (including if any bugs arise later from the original delivered file).

Surprisingly, clients who need spreadsheet work are almost always very easy to work with. They are thrilled that a spreadsheet expert is helping them and are usually extremely grateful, and believe it or not but I've never had to issue a refund yet. This is most likely because of how much communicating I do before we agree to the project.

In addition, I sometimes need a custom function or complicated formula done when I'm too tired or frustrated to figure it out myself. It'd be nice to be able to send you the problem if you're able to solve it and have you send me a quick quote for completing it. Essentially it'd be like asking for help on a spreadsheet forum somewhere, but with a faster, direct, and proper response to my specific issue.

--------
Pricing:
--------
I will pay via PayPal (USD) upon completion (not before) of the project.

I pay on a PROJECT basis only, no hourly.

The range of rates obviously will vary greatly, but here's an extremely rough guide:

- 1 single yet complex formula, or very short backend code (7~ lines): $10-$25
- Improving/revamping a client's existing worksheet (for example, I just had a client with an employee schedule and he needed the staff from his timetable sheet to randomly fill in positions for the upcoming month's day-to-day tasks based on who was working). $35 - $150
- Writing more complex backend code (50~ lines): $50-$150
- Large, very complex projects (for example, I had a guy with an existing Excel sheet which was working perfectly, but he wanted it converted to Google Sheets and it had about 15 sheets and about 1,000 lines of VBA code which would all need to be converted to Google Sheets. There were also some ActiveX components which would need to find a solution to work with in Google Sheets): $200 - $1,000+

My business has been rapidly growing so it's possible these rates could increase in the future.

How much work I give you would depend on how well things go. It would probably start off slow, but would pick up as I get to know your abilities and how dependable and trustworthy you are. I could probably send you $0-$200 worth of work the first month, and if things go well and my busines continues to grow, I could be paying as much as $1,000+ a month.

-------------
Requirements:
-------------
- Must be confident with their Excel and/or Google Sheets abilities and be able to create complex formulas, and code VBA or Google Appscript in at least an intermediate level.
- Strongly prefer somebody on Pacific, Central, or Eastern time.
- To be available to communicate on Skype (just typing is fine), as e-mail can be too slow once a project has started.
- Care needs to be made so that the client won't run into issues in the future; avoid fixed ranges, allow for flexibility and expansion.
- Need to create very "clean" spreadsheets (Ex. Align cells nicely, apply colours where it may improve usability, write nicely formatted and commented backend code.
- Must be able to communicate in English smoothly.

------------
Application:
------------
If you're interested in "applying" for this "job", send an e-mail to thatexcelguy@gmail.com that includes a brief introduction about yourself, as well as a sample of 3 Excel and/or Google Sheets files you created and are proud of.

If things look good I'll then send you 3 simple, generic spreadsheet tasks to test your abilities. Turnaround time will make a difference here, but it's not a race, as well as 3 more complex project examples that you will quote me on (just quote, you won't actually do them). I want to make sure that our prices are within workable range, otherwise it is pointless to try to work together.

Back