• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Line chart with multiple variables

I would like to create a line chart with a single line. The line represents different quantities of activities (at a linear rate) between two sets of dates. There are multiple tasks that make up the shape of the line but all the tasks run consecutively (i.e. there are no overlaps between the tasks). Each task has a linear rate (i.e. a quantity / number of days); the quantity does not change but the number of days might change. I would like the chart line to show a number of colours equivalent to the quantity of the tasks and each task to have a separate colour. Assume a maximum of 10 different tasks. Please see the attached file showing the calculations that produce the data for the chart.

Many thanks in advance. Pete.

Attachments

• Multi Activity chart.xlsx
    27.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
It would seem that I have got 1 point for posting this question. I guess that you can tell that I am new to this but, hey, 1 point = 1 point.

Hi again. If I change the end dates (which is likely to happen) but keeping the quantities the same (which is what would happen in practice) the colours on the sections of the chart do not rearrange themselves correctly. Please see a version 2 of the spreadsheet. I'm still interested to know how you did the first thing though. :).

Attachments

• Multi Activity chart_2.xlsx
    26.1 KB · Views: 2
the 1st version was the 1st version ( You can see Yourself how did I it )
and
of course
with this, the 2nd, version I use different method.

Attachments

• Multi Activity chart_2.xlsb
    30 KB · Views: 12
Hi again. Many thanks for the updated spreadsheet. And it does exactly what I was hoping for. Can you say why it has to be saved as a Binary Worksheet though? I saved it as an *.xlsx format and unfortunately the calculations and the chart did not update.

You just noticed WHY it have to be saved as .xlsb!
I didn't use any formulas!
... and it works ONLY with same range of data!

Just to complete this thread, here is a version of the chart in *.xlsx format. One of the problems I had was when the value in a cell dropped to zero, this then created a vertical line on the chart which was not what I wanted. The NA() function seems to have solved that problem. Re-ordering the sequence of the Series has allowed Task 1 to sit over Task 2 (and Task 3 and 4) so only task 1 info is visible until its value drops to zero (this is when Task 2 appears on the chart). I appreciate that this might not be the most elegant way to solve the problem but it seems to work, Again, thanks for your help pointing me in the right direction.

Attachments

• Multi Activity chart_4.xlsx
    34.7 KB · Views: 3
Back