• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Inserting a date in a cell from a displayed calendar

I have tried searching the web for this answer but everything seems too complicated. I had one hit on a YouTube demo but it was too quick to follow and did not give any monologue.

I have a column of cells (20 -24 different dates) into which will be added a date from week to week. Format should be dd mmm yyyy. How can I SIMPLY show a calendar from which to select a date whenever I put the cursor into any cell ?

Yes ! That was one of the many items I came across during my search and found it far too complicated to contemplate !

I am looking for something like simply formatting a range of cells each of which will display a calendar from which one can select a date which will appear in the cell.

Most easy would have been adding Microsoft Date Picker Control 6.0 but if you are working in 64 Bit architecture or your file needs to be shared with someone who might be using 64 Bit version then it won't work for them.

See if anyone of these suits you:

http://www.rondebruin.nl/win/addins/datepicker.htm
(its an Excel addin, works with both 32 and 64 Bit Excel and Windows)

http://www.yogeshguptaonline.com/2010/01/excel-macros-excel-date-picker.html
(Another Excel addin, works fine in 32 Bit architecture. For 64 Bit versions lot of tweeking is required)

addins are required to be added for every user excel application to be used.

If you are intrested in a Class Module, here it is:
https://sites.google.com/site/e90e50/calendar-control-class

once you add this to your project, files can be shared easily over shared location and mail and no other changes to system or application is required. Only users need to use the file with macro enabled.

Hope one of these help.

Thanks to all for your time and effort in your suggestions. I guess I may be looking for the impossible.
I have opted for the nearest method that I was looking for. I have created a worksheet with a column of 2 years dates e.g 24 Sep 2014 , 25 Sep 2014 etc. etc. and named the column containing the dates. I have then hidden the worksheet.

Sorry guys ! Forget the above post ! I got sidetracked with things going on at home before I had finished evaluating your other suggestions.
The Excel Date Picker/Pop-up Excel Calendar is excellent and works a treat but unfortunately , as you are aware , you can only get it as a trial before you have to pay for a license. THat would be my preferred option as it is so simple buuttt .....
So in the long term , I guess that I will have to opt for the method that I started to explain above. I then finished off the method by doing a 'Data Validation' as a list on the block of cells that I would want to insert a date from within the stipulated range and in a standard format. Problem is , I will have to update the worksheet containing the list of Dates when it gets out-of-date. Hope you understand that ! Not as good as Date Picker but when you pay significant costs for something like Excel , you fight shy of paying for enhancements.

Thanks to all for your input !

Back