• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

How to lookup in merge cell

Debraj

Excel Ninja
Hi Forum,

Can someone, help me to create a Drag-able Formula for the below situation.. :(

image.png

PS: No.. you are wrong..
MERGE CELL is most important thing in the world to LIVE..

images

Attachments

• mergeLookup.xlsx
    9.4 KB · Views: 23
Good day Debraj

Avoid merging cells

Merged cells can help you arrange values in a meaningful way, but they come with problems -- numerous problems, big problems.

For instance, Excel won't apply column formats to a merged cell unless you select all the columns that comprise the merge.

In addition, not all cell formats stick once you unmerge a cell.

You can't sort a column with merged cells.

You can't even select a single-column range if there's a merged cell in it -- go ahead, try!, the whole column will become merged, not good.

You cannot put a filter on it. The problem is the filter is completely useless because the filter will groan with the "merged cells need to be identically sized." Warning, which in English means you have to make each group of merged cells the same size as the largest group. And you have to find them all!

Merging cells in columns and rows could lead to data loss, bad thing.

Formulas and Functions that refer to merged cells will not work, bad thing.

Don't hesitate to use merged cells if you really need them (you don’t), but they will limit what you can do to the cells and even the columns involved.

Center Across Selection is a far better alternative to merging.

To apply this format, select the cells you want to appear merged and then launch the Alignment group dialog, Ctrl + 1, and click the Alignment tab. Center Across Selection is in the Horizontal drop-down.

You will get the desired look you want but without the merged cells problems.

Hi Debraj,

A bit longer formula but working, (CSE formula) in E2 and copy down:

=INDEX($B$2:$B$16,SMALL(IF(LOOKUP(ROW($A$2:$A$16),ROW($A$2:$A$16)/($A$2:$A$16<>""),$A$2:$A$16)=$D$2,ROW($B$2:$B$16)-ROW($B$2)+1),ROWS(E$2:E2)))

Regards,

Avoid merging cells

R.O.T.F.L.S.H.T.I.H.M.H.O.T.W.V.H.T.W.G.C.A.T.H.S.S.A.M.M.R.I.M.R.T.I.W.D.B.I.W.S.L. -

Rolling On The Floor Laughing So Hard That I Hit My Head On The Wall Very Hard That The Wall Got Cracks And The House Started Shaking And My Mom Ran Into My Room Thinking I Was Dead But I Was Still Laughing

Hi Somu..

am i missing something.. :(

I need to enter formula in E2, so that it can be Drag-able till E11..
and its only working for D2 Section only..Not for D7.. :(

@Debraj

I made formula as per your attached file, overlooked your pic (Sorry for that). See the attached file. Uses a helper column F.

Regards,

Attachments

• mergeLookup.xlsx
    9.3 KB · Views: 29
Formulas and Functions that refer to merged cells will not work, bad thing.

Center Across Selection is a far better alternative to merging.

Stop rolling around the floor laughing and get to work on your spreadsheet with CENTER ACROSS

In cell E2 (not at all generic / elegant but applies specifically to your case):
=INDEX($B$2:$B$16,MATCH(LOOKUP(99,$D$2:$D2),$A$2:$A$16,0)+(MOD(ROWS($B$2:B2),5)+5*(MOD(ROWS($B$2:B2),5)=0)-1))
and copy down.

Merged formula in last file,
In E2,
=INDEX($B$2:$B$16,SMALL(IF(LOOKUP(ROW($A$2:$A$16),ROW($A$2:$A$16)/($A$2:$A$16<>""),$A$2:$A$16)=LOOKUP(99^99,$D$2:D11),ROW($B$2:$B$16)-ROW($B$2)+1),MOD(ROWS(F$2:F11)-1,5)+1))

Regards,

Hello Deb,

May be this....

=INDEX(B:B,MATCH(LOOKUP(9.9E+300,D$2:D2),A:A,0)+ROWS(E$2:E2)-MATCH(9.9E+300,D$2:D2))

...but this wouldn't give any error if it is exceed the number of available values, will return the next value

Hi Somu!

overlooked your pic (Sorry for that).

Apologize, mah fault.. I upload the file first, then made some changes.. so I thought.. you have the Inserted pic Excel file ..

Last night, somehow.. completed the task using OFFSET..
=OFFSET($A$1,MATCH(LOOKUP(2,1/NOT(ISBLANK($D$2:D2)),$D$2:D2),A:A,0)+ROWS(E$2:E2)-LOOKUP(2,1/NOT(ISBLANK($D$2:D2)),ROW($D$2:D2)),1)

exceed the number of available values
Thanks Guru.. and apologize to you and Shri too :(
You know why..
May be in next version of excel.. Microsoft will continuous blink the green triangle at top left to show.. "Number Stored as text"..

For Forum..
Here is the updated file..

Attachments

• mergeLookup.xlsx
    9.8 KB · Views: 30
Back