1. Welcome to Chandoo.org Forums. Short message for you

Hi Guest,

Thanks for joining Chandoo.org forums. We are here to make you awesome in Excel. Before you post your first question, please read this short introduction guide. When posting or responding to questions please remember our values at Chandoo.org are: Humility, Passion, Fun, Awesomeness, Simplicity, Sharing Remember that we have people here for whom English is not there first language and we need to allow for this in our dealings.

Yours,
    Chandoo
  2. Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

3. When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

How to count the occurrence of particular text within a text string in an array

Discussion in 'Ask an Excel Question' started by Santanu Chatterjee, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Santanu Chatterjee

Santanu Chatterjee New Member

Dear All,

I have a data where in a particular column I need to count the occurrence of a string "Not Interested" which may or may not be a part of a larger string based on another criteria of date. I have applied the countifs but it is unable to find the string and count its occurrence. Could anyone help me with a formula that will get me the count?

Regards,
    Santanu
  2. shrivallabha

shrivallabha Excel Ninja

How are you applying COUNTIF to the column?
    =COUNTIF(A1:A100,"*not interested*")
    Above formula worked for me.
    Felix likes this.
  3. Santanu Chatterjee

Santanu Chatterjee New Member

Thanks....it worked ....I was not aware about the application of asterix
  4. shrivallabha

shrivallabha Excel Ninja

Good. Asterix acts as wildcard.
  5. Felix

Felix New Member

=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"*cabinet*").
    Thanks, this formula worked for me also. Now please take a look at my SS, and help me have my results added up. My result should be 3 instead of two because I want those raws in B6:B8 that match the "countif" to be added up. Is it possible?
    Thanks again

Attached Files:

6. Felix

Felix New Member

Guys, I am sorry if I took a little of your time. YOU ARE AWSOME!!! I founf my answer in another post in Which HUI helped. This is what I did:
    =SUMIF($E$12:$K$39,"*CABINET*",$B$12:$B$39)