• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Grouping Column Labels

JuliusV

Hi All,

I am having trouble separating the grouping of my column labels. Each time I go to group the column labels that are next to each other it combines the column labels together? How do I go about avoiding this?

(e.g, Column Labels: Column Label 1 (own Column Group), Column Label 2 (own Column Group), Label 3 (own Column Group);however, when I try it connects them all together into one Column Label 1 group.)

Thank you for your help.

Best,

Julius Vazquez

Sorry not makes sense to me, describe it with your sample file and try to upload it at the forum

Cheers

I want to be able to group Column1,Column2,and Column3 separately. However, when I try to says group Coulmn 2 and Coulmn 3 separately it puts them together.

Example, Heading 3,4 should only go with Column 2 and should be separate; and Heading 5,6 should only go with Column 2 and should be separate.

Hopefully the example below can clarify my question.

Attachments

• Chandoo Column Grouping Question.xlsx
    9 KB · Views: 9
JuliusV,

In order for the outline grouping of either columns or rows to work, you must have summary formulas for the data in each group. This typically means that several columns (in your case) should have the same entry across a particular row in order to distinguish the "like" data on which the summary formula would be based. I would suggest you review the help topic in Excel by searching for "outline".

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Ken

Ken,

Thank you for your response. I am familiar with outline and the need for formulas. However, I was trying to get around this issue and was wondering if there is a workaround.

Best,

Julius Vazquez

Yes I think it can be done with formula, but I am still conused what you need as a results? Are you trying to retrieve data below the heading? nased on their column? Pls clarify

Thanks

I am trying to collapse by Column so that say I only wanted to see Column 2, I could collapse Column 1 and Column 3 and only Column 2 would show.

Julius,

Please see the modifications I have made to your file. I have added some columns that would serve the purpose of the summary columns although they do not contain any formulas or data. You have to have a placeholder for the grouping symbols to display; this is normally the summary row or column.

Hope that helps.
Ken

Attachments

• Chandoo Column Grouping Question_KenU.xlsx
    9.1 KB · Views: 7
Hi Kendu,

Thank you for your reply. I guess there may not be a way without have the additional columns?

I tried to hide the columns and make it smaller but it hides the icon to hide the columns.

Thank you,

JuliusV

Back