• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

fx =Hyperlink function doesnt work for me ?? Excel 2007

I felt like I really knew Excel until today...now I just feel like a real newbie! Thanks for your help in advance.

The Function Arguements for HYPERLINK asks for Link_Location and Friendly_Name.

Forgetting about the Friendly_Name for now...

I click in the Link_Location field, then click the tab of the spreadsheet (within the same Workbook) that I want to hyperlink to, click a cell and then click ok on the Function Arguement box. I am taken back to the spreadsheet where I asked for the hyperlink to be (where I started from) and it looks like the hyperlink has worked; i.e. its blue with a line under the words.

=HYPERLINK(sheet!cell)

However, when I click the hyperlink, an error message appears 'Cannot open the specified file.'

Trying the F1 help, it says the formula should be
=HYPERLINK("[file_name.xlsx]sheet!cell")

this formula does work, but I dont want to have to do that each time I write a hyperlink. is there something wrong with my excel? I have tried in another brand new workbook (in case it was the workbook's issue) but still has the same error 'Cannot open the specified file.'.

seems so simple, yet so wrong?

thanks, that does work, silly how Excel2007 doesnt do this automatically.

the only issue with using the # before the sheet name is that it then wont allow the friendly_name referenced to a cell on the hyperlinked tab. Even though the Formula Result shows that it will return the text value within the cell that I have chosen.

formula is:

=HYPERLINK("#'sheet'!cell",'sheet'!cell)

results in

#VALUE!

Back