• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Excel 2013 - slower macros, worse performance than 2010?

cacos

Hi everyone!

I've migrated to Excel 2013, and noticed that strangely all code runs waaaay slower. Not only that, but also the screen goes completely white while code is running- WEIRD.
I was using 2010 before and it worked just fine, never had this issue. Actually not even when I was running 2007. It happens with basic code too, nothing too complex.

Doing some research (yes, I saw the bit about disabling graphics acceleration, looks like that's not it) I found that due to a stronger algorithm, 2013 takes more time when protecting and unprotecting sheets. According to articles, it's a design flaw, so no workaround. Removed that and it's faster, but I still get the white screen while code runs.

Protecting via code is essential for my reports and dashboards, I know you can probably relate- not only does it make it more professional but it also protects the user from changing things around and affecting the report.

Has anyone faced this already? Any solutions to the protecting-via-code part, or reasons why all that white screen time happens? I find it really hard to believe that the new version is really this bad, especially with Excel that absolutely rules.

THANK YOU!

POST MOVED BY MODERATOR

Last edited by a moderator:
Few things you can do.
1. Turn off unnecessary animations.
http://www.askvg.com/tip-improve-mi...formance-by-disabling-unnecessary-animations/

2. Use binary format (XLSB) rather than XLSM/XLSX formats.

Typically speaking, newer the Excel version, more overhead there is. In terms of processing.

In well designed workbooks/modules these differences are pretty negligible. But when workbook contains large amount of formatting types, unnecessary ranges with formatting etc. This issue becomes more pronounced.

Thanks Chihiro, good tips.

I always use binary, so we are on the same page there. I'm experiencing the unnecessary white screen even in basic code, just formatting a chart and doing some sorting. Nothing fancy.

I've found this online: turns out having the cursor on-screen while the code runs really slows everything down (couldn't believe it). "Application.Cursor = xlWait" significantly reduces processing time.

Looks like there's a lot of weird stuff I'll have to explore. Not managing to get rid of the white screen yet. Appreciate any help there.

Back